- IBM zEnterprise System z196 (z196)
- IBM zEnterprise System z114 (z114)
- IBM zEnterprise EC12 (zEC12)
- IBM zEnterprise BC12 (zBC12)
- IBM z13 (z13)
- 768 MiB for installation under z/VM
- 1 GiB for installation under LPAR
NOTE: Memory Requirements with Remote Installation Sources
For installation from NFS, FTP or SMB installation sources or whenever VNC is used, 512 MiB of memory is required as a minimum. Otherwise, the installation attempt is likely to fail. Further note that the number of devices visible to the z/VM guest or LPAR image affects memory requirements. Installation with hundreds of accessible devices (even if unused for the installation) may require more memory.
The disk requirements depend largely on the installation. Commonly, you need more space than the installation software itself needs to have a system that works properly. Minimal requirements for different selections are:
- 2.6 GiB for a default installation
- 3.6 GiB+ recommended (this is with graphical desktop, development packages and Java)
- OSA Express Ethernet (including Fast and Gigabit Ethernet)
- 10 GBE, vSwitch
If you need to run a Linux-on-z-Systems pilot as a proof of concept, the Starter System from SUSE makes deployment easy by eliminating the need for a separate system to host the installation files. Additionally, this tool ensures you won't need network connectivity outside the mainframe to install your Linux servers.
For kernel limits and file system support, see the relevant sections on the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server pages.
Want to talk to someone? Call our Sales team or request a call and we'll get right back to you.
For support information, please visit Technical Support.
Live chat only available in the US and Canada.
Locate a qualified partner within your area to assist you with your business needs