In 2000, IBM and SUSE brought Linux to the mainframe. Now SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for System z is the #1 choice for Linux on IBM mainframes.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System for System z is available for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1 and subsequent releases of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES).
The SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System is a pre-built installation server for SLES* that can be installed on your z/VM system using CMS tools, eliminating the need for coordinating access to a separate Linux or UNIX system elsewhere on your network and minimizing the impact of network-based installation on your internal and external networks.
The SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System for System z includes:
- Utilities and configuration tools for quick installation of the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System for System z from a CMS terminal session.
- Compressed disk images of the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System for System z, including a complete set of RPM packages as shipped with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
- Utilities and configuration tools to assist with installation of additional SUSE Linux Enterprise Server-based virtual machines from the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System for System z installation server. The configuration tools package also includes a "rescue" system that can be used to recover a SUSE Linux Enterprise Server virtual machine if there are problems that prevent the server from booting and connecting to the network for normal maintenance.
Value to Customer
The SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System for System z benefits customers, and business partners working with potential customers, by reducing the amount of time needed to get a proof of concept pilot using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for System z up and running. It eliminates the need for another system to host the installation files, and it reduces the need for any network connectivity outside the mainframe for the actual install process. It also eliminates the need for any firewall changes.
- "We're excited to be able to leverage the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter System for System z for our mainframe deployments. Until recently, there was no simple way to install SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on a mainframe using z/VM tools natively. This new tool makes it much easier and faster for us and others to experience SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for System z, taking advantage of the cost and reliability benefits of Linux on the mainframe." — Mike Walter, z/VM systems manager, Hewitt Associates
- "All I can say is - Brilliant! [...] 7 installs on a z890 in about an hour and a half." — Rich Smrcina, VM Assist Inc.
The system requirements include:
- A z/Architecture processor (CP or IFL)
- z/VM version 5.1 or later
- Working VSWITCH or guest LAN
- One unique IP address
- Two 3390-3 DASD devices
- One temporary 3390-3 DASD device
* The Starter System Is Not Suitable for General Use The starter system image has been highly customized for use as an installation server for other SLES-based Linux servers running in virtual machines. The starter system is NOT suitable for general use and you should not attempt to use it for any other purpose.