SUSE Manager gives you comprehensive Linux server management via three modules: management, provisioning, and monitoring.
- Zypp Update StackUse the Zypp update stack, the fastest and most efficient update toolchain, to enable the rapid and consistent deployment of patches and updates. More ›
- Server GroupsCentrally push software by grouping servers. This significantly eases the burden of manually managing each server individually. More ›
- Custom RepositoriesCreate customized repositories for the delivery of either operating system packages or RPM-based applications and content.
- SUSE Manager APILeverage SUSE Manager's API to create custom scripts that programmatically manage tasks, or integrate SUSE Manager with third-party applications and management tools.
- SchedulerPlan maintenance windows ahead of time by scheduling updates at the time of your choosing.
- Role-Based Access ControlApply role-based controls to ensure administrators access only those systems they have the appropriate level of authority to manage. More ›
- SearchGranularly search operating system instances by packages, patches, or system specifications. With SUSE Manager's search capabilities, you can protect your systems by identifying servers that require security updates and then automatically apply the necessary patch with one click. More ›
- Virtual Guest ManagementManage virtual guests on VMware, Xen, KVM, and Hyper-V as if they were running on bare metal. More ›
- Small-Footprint Agent for IBM System z & AppliancesThe agent deployed by SUSE Manager is smaller than that of other solutions and fits comfortably within the footprint of RAM- and storage-constrained Linux environments such as IBM System z and appliances. This capability enables you to manage your complete Linux environment, unlike other Linux management products. More ›
- Patch managementConnect to SUSE's Customer Center to easily access updates, security patches and service packs. More ›
- OpenSCAPFollow standards to maintain the security of your Linux enterprise systems, such as verifying patches, checking security, and configuration setting. In addition, examine your Linux systems for signs of compromise. More ›
- Bare Metal ProvisioningAutomate the provisioning of operating system instances on bare metal hardware using AutoYaST, Kickstart, and PXE boot.
- Provision Virtual GuestsSUSE Manager allows you to provision virtual guests on both KVM and Xen hypervisors. More ›
- Existing State ProvisioningProvision new servers with the identical characteristics of a server that is already running or with a predefined configuration.
- Server Roll-backSUSE Manager tracks changes made to servers, so if an administrator makes an error or wants to reprovision servers to an earlier state they can instantly roll-back to a previous version or configuration.
- Configuration ManagementCentralize management of configuration files for server groups. For complete provisioning, use in combination with AutoYaST or Kickstart. More ›
- Configuration Profile ManagementDevelop and maintain standardized configuration profiles for servers or groups of servers, simplifying the initial provisioning of servers. More ›
- Application ProvisioningProvision RPM-based applications for the automatic deployment of complete and integrated software stacks.
- Provisioning ScriptsEasily migrate custom scripts for Red Hat Network Satellite, create new AutoYaST and Kickstart scripts, or use SUSE Manager to develop new scripts based on existing installations.
- Migrate Service PacksUpdate an existing system to new Service Packs without completely reinstalling it. Through the SUSE Manager interface, you get information about the current version of the existing systems. Then SUSE Manager offers you various service pack migration options. As soon as you have chosen the option that is right for you, SUSE Manager automatically migrates to the Service Pack.
- Red Hat migrationEasily migrate scripts for Red Hat Network Satellite, create new AutoYAST and Kickstart scripts, or use SUSE Manager to develop new scripts on existing installations.
- ProbesCreate custom probes or use the built-in operating system probes and third-party application probes to monitor the health of servers, virtual guests and applications. Monitoring of memory space, disk usage, CPU utilization, and network services lets you prevent issues before they occur. More ›
- Probe GroupsGrouping of probes enables faster deployment and improves the consistency of monitoring.
- NotificationsReceive warning notifications via email or pager when servers are exceeding utilization thresholds or if services are not responding, so you can quickly respond to issues. More ›
- ReportingMonitor server health from one console with single-page updates on each server's status. Produce detailed journals and develop graphical reports of server performance.
- Server HealthMonitor your server health from one console and easily extract valuable information about the systems (Red Hat and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server) managed by SUSE Manager. You'll receive single-page updates on each server's status.
A SUSE Manager installation consists of at least one SUSE Manager Server and the SUSE Manager Management Module for each managed server that has an active SUSE Linux Enterprise subscription. SUSE Manager Provisioning and Monitoring module entitlements may be added for each managed server to provide additional functionality. SUSE Manager Proxy Servers can also be deployed on an as-needed basis.
SUSE Manager server and proxy server are provided as software appliances for easy installation on physical hardware, or as virtual appliances on all virtualization platforms supported with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Service Pack 2.
SUSE Manager is available in two different versions:
- SUSE Manager Server with Database: This version of SUSE Manager Server comes with a highly scalable, embedded enterprise database. It is a built-in Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition database. The database is part of the SUSE Manager Server appliance and runs on the same server.
- SUSE Manager Server without enterprise database: A SUSE Manager Server subscription can be used if the customer already has existing Oracle 10g or 11g databases, to locally store all data related to the managed Linux servers.
The SUSE Manager Server appliance also contains the Open Source PostgreSQL database that can be used for both evaluation and production purposes.
- Slash your cost of ownershipAutomating Linux server management with SUSE Manager reduces administrator effort even as the size and complexity of your Linux deployments grow. It's the fastest way to multiply your Linux ROI. More ›
- Reduce the complexity of Linux systems managementBased on the Spacewalk open source project, SUSE Manager is the best solution for managing SUSE Linux Enterprise Server as well as Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It manages workloads across major hardware architectures, virtual platforms and cloud environments. More ›
- Simplify ComplianceNeed help meeting compliance challenges? SUSE Manager's comprehensive Linux server management capabilities allow you to automate operating system tracking and auditing processes to ensure compliance with internal policies and external regulations. More ›
- Improve IT service quality with maximum uptimeSUSE Manager helps you improve IT service quality by maximizing system uptime. You can perform Linux server management and provisioning tasks faster and with fewer errors, for non-stop service delivery. More ›
- Move from Red Hat Enterprise Linux to SUSE Linux EnterpriseSUSE Manager makes it easy to transition from Red Hat Enterprise Linux to SUSE Linux Enterprise by managing both distributions. You can replace Red Hat Network Satellite with SUSE Manager easily while retaining data and configurations, and re-using customized scripts, templates and processes. More ›