SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 4 is now generally available. Service Pack 4 marks the fourth generation of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12, a major code stream and product foundation with a lifecycle from 2014 to 2024 plus Long Term Support (10+3 years).
This release consolidates all fixes and updates introduced since SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 3.
Key features of this release include:
- Persistent Memory Enhancements: Intel Optane DC persistent memory (NVDIMM) with SAP HANA is supported for faster recovery from planned and unplanned outages.
- New Hardware Support: Latest Intel processors, AMD’s “Zen 2” core processor generation, IBM Z14, IBM LinuxONE Rockhopper II, IBM POWER9 (Little Endian) enhancements, Arm SoC/ODM support for selected vendors including Raspberry Pi devices.
- Save Time During Migration: More flexibility in upgrades with additional product migration paths from previous releases. In addition, kernel v4.12 is used, which is same as SUSE Linux Enterprise 15, to ease future migration to SUSE Linux Enterprise 15.
- Improved Customer Experience: Continue the support for skipping a Service Pack, offline or via the online migration via SUSE Manager, SUSE Subscription Management Tool (SMT) and SUSE Customer Center (SCC).
- Virtualization: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server KVM on IBM Z is supported, so you can easily migrate from IBM KVM to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server KVM based infrastructure.
In an effort to benefit customers with faster access to new features and functionalities, this service pack accelerates the release cadence for Service Packs from 16-18 months to 12 months. Going forward, you can expect future Service Packs to follow a cadence of 12 months.
- Blog – SUSE Partners with Intel and SAP to Accelerate IT Transformation with Persistent Memory in the Data Center
- Download SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 Service Pack 4
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 Service Pack 4 Release Notes
- All Release Notes
- Documents – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12