SAP NetWeaver is a common stack of middleware functionality used to support the SAP business applications. This guide describes a SAP NetWeaver installation on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 with the included SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension. We will also describe possible failure scenarios and methods for avoiding them. The described concept has shown its maturity during several years of productive operations for customers of different size and branches.
The described storage stack and SAP configuration can be used with or without a high availability cluster. It is possible to add high availability functionality to an already running system, if the installation complies with the described solution.
This guide will show you how to:
- Plan a SUSE Linux Enterprise platform for SAP workload Set up a Linux high availability infrastructure for SAP
- Perform a basic SAP NetWeaver installation on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12
It will also help you to install the following software components:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12, including the high availability extension
- MaxDB (SAP HANA, SAP ASE, Oracle, and DB2 are supported as well) SAP NetWeaver 7.5 (other versions are supported, too)
For SAP HANA scenarios SUSE is publishing seperate best practices in the SAP Resource Library.
This guide is aimed at IT professionals with skills in:
- SAP basis
- Data center system concepts and configuration
- Linux knowledge at LPIC-1 or SCA (SUSE Certified Administrator) level
You will need access to the following resources:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 installation media. To update the systems you must have either Internet access, or a local software management solution, such as SUSE Manager or SMT (Subscription Management Tool).
- SAP NetWeaver 7.5 Installation Media
- Appropriate hardware
The new Best Practice is available for download here.