504 Gateway Timeout when executing smt-ncc-sync
This document (7010991) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
2012-10-24 01:03:58 SMT::Mirror::RegData - [error] Failed to POST
'https://secure-www.novell.com/center/regsvc-1.0/?command=regdata&lang=en-US&version=1.0': 504 Gateway Time-Out
The acording smt-ncc-sync cron job in /etc/smt.d/novell.com-smt is set to a time between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. GMT.
The same may be true on a SUSE Manager system, when executing the mgr-ncc-sync command.
The cause of the issue is, that because of the huge numbers of installed SMT servers the default sync window is too small. There is a peak of SMT traffic between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. GMT.
As an alternative it is possible to to fix the issue on your SMT server manually: Edit the file
and alter the smt-daily line which may look as follows:
10 1 * * * root /usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-daily
The second field stands for the hour, in which the cron job is executed. Alter this number in a way to add two to five hours. As an example:
10 4 * * * root /usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-daily
In this example the smt-ncc-sync job is scheduled 3 hours later.
- We identified and implemented some efficiencies in our gateway stack that allowed more systems to sync at once. This reduced the number of gateway timeouts during peak usage.
- We've identified and implemented additional efficiencies related to the way the registration service connects to the database.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7010991
- Creation Date: 24-Oct-2012
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- Subscription Management Tool
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- SUSE Manager
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org