Supportability and Challenges for Live Migration of VMs in a SUSE HA Cluster Environment
This document (000020918) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
The potential challenges linked to VM live migration, including temporary network connectivity drops and disturbances in real-time processing, can lead to unexpected cluster behavior within the HA stack. Therefore, SUSE doesn't provide support for incidents or issues that may arise from the live migration of nodes.
It is important to note that this doesn't suggest that Live Migration or similar technologies are ineffective. Rather, it emphasizes that SUSE cannot guarantee the absence of cluster issues during such operations.
While SUSE doesn't provide support for cluster issues during the live migration of VMs, if you still find it necessary to proceed at your own risk, we recommend following these steps to ensure a smoother process:
- Place the cluster in maintenance mode ( # crm maintenance on )
- Stop cluster services on the node to be moved (# crm cluster stop )
- Migrate the VM
- Start cluster services again on the node that was moved ( # crm cluster start )
- Exit maintenance mode (# crm maintenance off)
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:000020918
- Creation Date: 03-Nov-2023
- Modified Date:03-Nov-2023
- SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback[at]suse.com