kernel-azure on PAYG images is not supported for running SAP applications
This document (000020528) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
- It breaks kABI (Kernel Application Binary Interface). Please note that SUSE is very strict on guaranteeing kABI stability/compatibility on Service Pack cycle.
- kernel-azure build has no long term support (LTSS) , i.e. it gets full support until EOL of the given service pack according to the overlap lifecycle.
- kernel-azure is a stripped off kernel, as it missed some modules that are available on the SUSE default kernel.
- There is no support for add-on products such as HA or Kernel Live Patching for PAYG on-demand instances.
# zypper in –no-recommends kernel-default # zypper rm kernel-azure # shutdown -r nowThe use of –no-recommends option prevents the auto-installation of the kernel-firmware package which is not needed inside a VM.
A Different Builtin Kernel For Azure On-Demand Images
SAP Note 3123142 - Microsoft Azure - Change SLES Kernel from azure to default
SUSE and Microsoft Collaborate to Deliver First Enterprise Linux Kernel Optimized for Azure
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:000020528
- Creation Date: 15-Dec-2021
- Modified Date:16-Dec-2021
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback[at]suse.com