Autoyast does not setup hardware consistently

This document (7005534) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.

Environment

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Service Pack 2
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Service Pack 3

Situation

When using autoyast when configuring some hardware it would not get up consistently.
For example you would install Bond0 and a vlan network.  80% of the time this would work correctly and the other 20% it would not get configured.

Resolution

When you install using autoyast and do manual configuration you could see this problem.
Manual configuration means configure some parameters interactively in Linuxrc.
In this special case yast asks for re-probing hardware, but this question is
silently answered as no, therefore no hardware to configure.

This has been fixed in yast 2-2.13.116 and later for SLES 10.
This has been fixed in yast 2-2.17.91 and later for SLES 11.

Disclaimer

This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.

  • Document ID:7005534
  • Creation Date: 23-Mar-2010
  • Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
    • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server

< Back to Support Search

For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback@suse.com

SUSE Support Forums

Get your questions answered by experienced Sys Ops or interact with other SUSE community experts.

Join Our Community

Support Resources

Learn how to get the most from the technical support you receive with your SUSE Subscription, Premium Support, Academic Program, or Partner Program.


SUSE Customer Support Quick Reference Guide SUSE Technical Support Handbook Update Advisories
Support FAQ

Open an Incident

Open an incident with SUSE Technical Support, manage your subscriptions, download patches, or manage user access.

Go to Customer Center