Transform Edge Operations with SLE Micro 5.3, Now Integrated with Rancher
Today, we are excited to announce the general availability of SUSE Linux Enterprise Micro 5.3 – it is purpose-built for containerized and virtualized workloads. It is now fully integrated with Rancher and available as part of SUSE Edge 2.0. For the first time, organizations can manage both Kubernetes and operating systems (SLE Micro) from a single dashboard of Rancher. This is a notable milestone and transformative for operations teams.
What is SUSE Edge 2.0?
SUSE Edge 2.0 is a purpose-built, fully integrated solution for managing the full lifecycle of edge devices at scale. By leveraging the latest versions of Rancher, SLE Micro and NeuVector, SUSE Edge 2.0 solution brings a much-needed integrated platform that simplifies, centralizes and automates Kubernetes and Linux OS lifecycle management across distributed edge locations.
What is the value to customers?
This integration will transform edge operations by providing a fully integrated cloud native solution to manage the whole stack – from applications to Kubernetes to operating systems. This enables customers to deliver incident-free day zero, day one and day two operations for running complex, cloud native workloads in edge-based locations. In addition, it reduces the need to retrain teams to manage the operating system. You can manage OS easily alongside Kubernetes clusters and applications from the same dashboard.
What else is new in SLE Micro 5.3?
SLE Micro 5.3 enhancements are centered around security, operations and edge. Here are the key features and benefits:
- Security Hardening: Most secure organizations can incorporate SLE Micro, which is planned to be listed at NIAP as under evaluation for FIPS 140-3 certification and Common Criteria. In addition:
- Pre-hardened images are available for faster and more secure deployments.
- Userland Live Patching is available as a tech preview.
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is enhanced with support for MFA using FIDO keys.
- Keylime agent is integrated to support remote attestation with Trusted Platform Module (TPM).
- Expanded support for edge: Improved support for 4G/5G mobile broadband strengthens the support for edge devices with SLE Micro.
- High Availability in edge deployments: Keepalived and haproxy are included to offer High Availability functionality in non-cloud-native edge deployments.
- Improved real-time functionality: By adding support for Precision Time Protocol.
- Enhanced web-based management functionality: By adding modules for storage configuration, kdump setup and SELinux analysis.
What makes SLE Micro ideal for edge?
SLE Micro is the optimal choice for an edge device for the following reasons:
- Immutable OS: SLE Micro is a lightweight, immutable OS optimized for edge use cases. Its immutable design ensures OS is not altered during runtime and runs reliably every single time.
- Small footprint and customizable: SLE Micro’s size is optimized for small-footprint installations without compromising on enterprise-grade security or quality. SLE Micro’s architecture is modular – you can start with just the Linux kernel and add the required modules to create a custom image (using KIWI, Open Build Service, and SUSE SolidDriver Program) that is tailored to your application. You have full control over the footprint of the OS image.
- SLE Micro is built from the ground up to support containers and microservices: All applications/workloads are run as containers and separated into dedicated containers. This provides several advantages – new installation of workloads can be done without reboot, atomic updates are easier to support (create new workload, kill old workload) and it is easy to rollback when an update or configuration change goes wrong.
- Security and compliance: It comes with a secure device onboarding client, kernel live patching and a fully supported security framework (SELinux) with policies.
- Integrated with SUSE Edge: Rancher by SUSE provides seamless deployment of SLE Micro from the Rancher dashboard. You can manage the operating system and Kubernetes from one dashboard. As a result, you save operating costs, improve IT operations’ efficiency,and enable scale management.
Explore and try SLE Micro from here.
- Product Webpage
- Datasheet, Download Link, Documentation
- SUSE Edge 2.0: A Cloud Native Solution to Manage Edge
- SUSE Edge Computing Solutions
- K3s – Lightweight Kubernetes
- Rancher by SUSE
- SUSE Manager