There is now a new choice of hypervisors supported for production virtualized SAP HANA systems!
The KVM virtualization included with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) for SAP Applications is now supported for SAP customers to choose for production SAP HANA systems. SAP’s virtualized SAP HANA support statements are based on a combination of the hypervisor version, deployment use case (e.g. Single VM per hypervisor, Multiple VMs per hypervisor) and CPU Architecture. This initial SAP support statement for SUSE covers:
- Hypervisor: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 SP2
- Use case: Single VM per hypervisor
- CPU Architecture: Intel v3 Haswell, Max. 2TB
However this is just the start of an ongoing journey to provide wider support coverage for production virtualized SAP HANA systems using SLES for SAP Applications. Precise configuration details can be found in SUSE Best Practices for SAP HANA on KVM – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 SP2
The addition of production SAP HANA support complements the existing long-standing support for all other SAP Applications running on KVM virtualization included with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. Therefore complete production SAP Application stacks based on SAP HANA can now be deployed with Open Source solutions from SUSE. For details refer to the resources section below.
Stay tuned for further developments as we progress with SAP HANA on KVM.
- SUSE Best Practices for SAP HANA on KVM – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 SP2
- SAP Note 2607144 “SAP HANA on KVM included with SLES for SAP Applications 12 SP2 in production”
- SAP Note 1522993 “Linux: SAP on SUSE KVM – Kernel-based Virtual Machine”