While attending Oracle OpenWorld late last year, I was able to hear firsthand from Oracle Product Management about the new features in Oracle Database 19c. At that time, this release was in beta. Thanks to combined efforts from Oracle and SUSE engineering, I am pleased to report that Oracle Database 19c is certified on SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server) 12. This brings a wide range of enhancements covering application development, availability, big data / data warehousing, diagnostics capabilities, performance, RAC (Real Application Clusters) / Grid, and security to Oracle customers using SLES.
Here is a subset of some of the interesting new features that I learned about at OpenWorld and from the 19c features document:
- Availability: improved manageability in a sharded database, and support for multiple PDB (pluggable database) shards in a CDB (container database).
- Big Data / Data Warehousing: new optimizations that can help you efficiently measure business performance and perform predictive analytics, and hybrid partitioning enables you to easily integrate internal partitions and external partitions into a single partition table.
- Diagnostics capabilities: Oracle Trace Analyzer enhancements and other diagnostics functions.
- Performance: additional in-memory capabilities, fast ingest support for IoT workloads, new tuning capabilities related to PDBs (pluggable databases) and automatic indexing.
- RAC / Grid: new features to speed up patching of PDBs without exposing other PDBs to the patch changes.
- Security: data dictionary encryption and many other security enhancements.
Of course, there are many more great features than listed above. Check out the Oracle Database 19c New Features Guide for a comprehensive list. For more information on capabilities for development, multitenant, database in-memory, and sharding, check out the Get Started information on the Oracle site.
Along with Oracle Database 19c, these related products are certified with SLES 12:
- Oracle Real Application Clusters Release 19c
- Oracle Clusterware 19c
- Oracle Database 19c Client for Linux
Oracle products go through an extensive testing and certification process to help ensure a great experience for our joint customers. Our teams are working to build on these efforts, and those covered in our March blog, which highlighted Oracle Database 18c certification on SLES 12, and Oracle 12c certification with SLES 15. Expect more certification news with SLES 15 in the weeks ahead.
For any questions about Oracle and SUSE combined solutions, general partner inquiries or to obtain more information about joining SUSE’s partner program, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.