/dev/raw* devices are not visible after upgrading the system to SLES 15 SP4
This document (000021050) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP4
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP4 for SAP
- User is unable to access /dev/raw* devices after system is upgraded to SLES 15 SP4
- The expected output(before upgrade):
server1:~ # systemctl status raw.service ● raw.service - raw devices Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/raw.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled) Active: active (exited) since Fri 2023-04-21 10:57:06 IST; 2min 18s ago Process: 1672 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c /sbin/modprobe raw; /sbin/udevadm settle; for i in `grep -v ^# /etc/raw`; do rawdev=`echo $i | cut -f> Main PID: 1672 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Apr 21 10:57:06 server1 systemd: Starting raw devices... Apr 21 10:57:06 server1 systemd: Finished raw devices. server1:~ # ls -l /dev/raw* total 0 crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 0 Apr 21 10:57 rawctl
- After upgrading to SLES15 SP4, raw devices are not accessible:
server1:~ # systemctl status raw.service Unit raw.service could not be found. server1:~ # ls -l /dev/raw* ls: cannot access '/dev/raw*': No such file or directory
- From SLES15 SP4 onwards, applications should make use of
opendevice files, such as
/dev/sda1, with the
- From SLES15 SP4 onwards, the raw utility has been deprecated
- Following is the snippet from SLES15 SP4 release notes:
5.2 Basic utilities 5.2.1 util-linux has been updated The util-linux package has been updated to version 2.37.2. The deprecated raw utility has been removed. Applications have to be ported to open(2) device files, such as /dev/sda1, with the O_DIRECT flag.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:000021050
- Creation Date: 21-Apr-2023
- Modified Date:21-Apr-2023
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback[at]suse.com