A registered client system disappeared from SUSE Manager
This document (7012170) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Manager 2.1
Typically this is a problem when working with clones from a template within a virtualization environment (such as VMWare).
On SLES 11, NCC credentials are saved in file "/etc/zypp/credentials.d/NCCcredentials". See the example below:
# cat /etc/zypp/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
For SLES 12 the same file exists in the same path with the name SCCcredentials.
On SLES 10 systems, NCC credentials are saved in the files /etc/zmd/deviceid and /etc/zmd/secret.
Please note that these files might still exist in a SLES 11 system (specially, but not only, if it was migrated from SLES 10).
Once the client system with the duplicated NCC credentials is found, make the following steps for fixing the issue:
- Remove the client systems in SUSE Manager using the web interface.
- Run "mgr-ncc-sync" or "mgr-sync refresh" on the SUSE Manager server from command line.
- On SLES 11 client systems, move "/etc/zypp/credentials.d/NCCcredentials", "/var/cache/SuseRegister/lastzmdconfig.cache" and "/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid" to "/tmp", or simply delete them (on SLES 10 client systems, remove /etc/zmd/deviceid and /etc/zmd/secret, then restart zmd).
- On SLES 11, check if /etc/zmd/deviceid and /etc/zmd/secret exist and delete them anyway, even if those files are legacy ones from SLES 10.
- On SLES 12, remove "/etc/SUSEConnect"
- In addition, the problem explained in TID 7017994: "Attempt to bootstrap a client to a SUSE Manager 3 Server returns "Internal Server Error" could exist.
Please remove the machine-id for dbus and regenerate it again as explained in that TID.
- Run the bootstrap script on the client systems again.
- Run again "mgr-ncc-sync" or "mgr-sync refresh" on the SUSE Manager server from command line.
The Novell Customer Center (NCC) and nu.novell.com are not available anymore. SLE10 and SLE11 Systems still registered to the Novell Customer Center (NCC) can be migrated to the SUSE Customer Center (SCC) as outlined at: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019508
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7012170
- Creation Date: 19-Apr-2013
- Modified Date:30-Dec-2021
- SUSE Manager
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org