Unable to print using an HP LaserJet 10XX on SLED 10.0
This document (3150964) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Minolta/QMS magicolor 2300 DL
Minolta/QMS magicolor 2200 DL
Konica Minolta magicolor 2430 DL
Minolta Color PageWorks/Pro L
HP LaserJet 2600n
HP LaserJet 1022
HP LaserJet 1020
HP LaserJet 1018
HP LaserJet 1005
HP LaserJet 1000
Each of these printers use the Zenographics ZjStream wire protocol for their print data. The printers listed above are often referred to as winprinters or GDI printers. However, Microsoft GDI only mandates the API between an application and the printer driver, not the protocol on the wire between the printer driver and the printer. In fact, ZjStream printers are raster printers which happen to use a very efficient wire protocol which was developed by Zenographics and licensed by most major printer manufacturers for at least some of their product lines. Because of the unique design of these printers a traditional PPD does not allow these printers to print. Because of this reason it is necessary to convert Postscript into a ZJS printer stream. This is what this driver accomplishes
Open a terminal window, login as root and do the following:
1. Type "wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz"
2. Type "tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz" to unpack the tar file
3. Type "cd foo2zjs"
4. Type "make" to compile
5. Type the following at the prompt that corresponds to your printer to get the extra files from the web for color correction and firmware:
./getweb 2430 # Get Minolta 2430 DL .ICM files
./getweb 2300 # Get Minolta 2300 DL .ICM files
./getweb 2200 # Get Minolta 2200 DL .ICM files
./getweb cpwl # Get Minolta Color PageWorks/Pro L .ICM files
./getweb 2600n # Get HP LaserJet 2600n .ICM files
./getweb 1020 # Get HP LaserJet 1020 firmware file
./getweb 1018 # Get HP LaserJet 1018 firmware file
./getweb 1005 # Get HP LaserJet 1005 firmware file
./getweb 1000 # Get HP LaserJet 1000 firmware file
6. Type "make install" to install the driver
7. Type "make install-hotplug" to configure the hotplug for the usb printer
8. Type "rccups restart"
9. Switch off and on the printer. Something similar to the following should be seen in /var/log/messages:
kernel: usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using address 8
kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 8 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x0517
/etc/hotplug/usb/hplj1000: loading HP LaserJet 1000 firmware /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1000.dl to /dev/usb/lp0 ...
/etc/hotplug/usb/hplj1000: ... download successful.
10. Now create the printer and the printer should print successfully.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3150964
- Creation Date: 14-Aug-2007
- Modified Date:23-Feb-2021
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback[at]suse.com