SAP Solutions on Linux
SUSE solutions for SAP environments help companies transform their existing infrastructures to increase agility and better serve their customers in the digital economy. The SUSE and SAP alliance spans nearly two decades of collaboration and innovation. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server was the first OS for SAP HANA and continues to be a reference development platform for the SAP S/4HANA platform.
As your business transforms to reduce complexity and "Run Live," SUSE delivers unique features and support so that you can smoothly transition your existing IT infrastructure to SAP S/4HANA.
High performance is a fundamental requirement for mission-critical applications. Production systems that fail to deliver transactional or analytics data on time can cause productivity losses and decreasing customer satisfaction.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications has proven it can consistently deliver outstanding performance—even under full CPU loads and high memory stress. Because SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is a reference development platform for SAP software, SUSE works with SAP to optimize the Linux OS for peak performance. Features like the Page Cache Limit and tuning options in the Installation Wizard provide the tools to ensure high-performance SAP operations.
Do your SAP workloads need to meet the highest standards of availability for your service delivery? Choose a reliable foundation for your mission-critical SAP workloads. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications delivers built-in business continuity features. They include an integrated clustering solution for physical and virtual Linux systems, automated recovery for SAP HANA databases, and full system rollback to mitigate change errors.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension makes it easier to configure high availability clusters with a graphical user interface.
- System Replication Resource Agents automate SAP HANA recovery times to minutes instead of hours.
- Full system rollback enables 1-click recovery from unexpected errors due to configuration changes or Service Pack updates.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Live Patching Extension is an optional feature that eliminates downtimes for security fixes without impacting application performance.
Deploy Applications Faster
Time to market for new solutions is extremely important to reach customers with the right offering at the right time before your competitors do. Choose the only Linux platform that not only speeds the configuration and installation of the operating system, but also for SAP BPM, ERP, and other applications, SAP HANA, and the full high availability stack. As you start your journey to deploy the all-Linux SAP S/4HANA landscape, SUSE provides features for S/4HANA migration to ease the transition for Windows administrators who are not as familiar with Linux.
Deploy the #1 Platform for SAP HANA
When you run SAP HANA, the next generation of SAP in-memory computing technology, you want to ensure that the underlying OS you choose gives you enterprise-level reliability, availability, scalability, manageability, and security to meet your needs.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is a reference development platform used by SAP to develop SAP HANA and S/4HANA. With built-in features to reduce the downtime and security risks to the SAP HANA database, it's no wonder that SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications is the #1 platform for SAP HANA and is currently running in over 95% of SAP HANA installations.
High Availability with Automated Failover
Since 2011 SUSE and SAP have been constantly working on improving the scalability and high availability of SAP HANA so that customers can grow their deployments to include multiple nodes and true big data environments. To ensure high availability and disaster recovery, SAP HANA can replicate your SAP HANA system within the same data center or across two data centers. This feature is called "SAP HANA System Replication." SUSE supports this feature by providing two resource agents for customers to ensure the high availability and rapid recovery of SAP HANA systems in minutes instead of hours.
Security Hardening Through Your Operating System
At least as important as the security of the SAP HANA database is the security of the underlying operating system. Many hacker attacks are targeted at the operating system and not directly at the database. Once a hacker has gained access and sufficient privileges, he or she can continue to attack the running database application.
SUSE has a long-running history in IT security for Linux operating systems and offers a comprehensive security package for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server to protect systems from all kinds of security incidents. In order to further improve the security standard specifically for SAP HANA, SUSE has developed the Operating System Security Hardening for SAP HANA guide and Tech-Cast.
Simple Management with SUSE Manager
SUSE Manager enables you to efficiently manage a set of Linux systems and keep them up-to-date. This is done by connecting SUSE Manager to package and update sources, organized as repositories. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications simplifies deployment of SAP landscapes by integrating the installation wizard for the SAP environment with SUSE Manager. This means that you can use SUSE Manager as a single pane of glass to configure, install, and monitor your SAP systems. SUSE provides a technical resource, Setting Up SUSE Manager for an SAP HANA Scale-out Scenario, that describes how to install a SUSE Manager server and how it could be used to update your SAP HANA scale-out scenario. Learn more about how to Tame Your IT Environment with SUSE Manager.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP applications is a recommended OS for SAP HANA and consistently provides outstanding uptime and performance—even under full CPU loads and high memory stress. Read more about our SAP solutions or visit the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications product page.
Increase Business Agility with SUSE Solutions for Digital Transformation
SAP BPM and ERP software with SAP HANA on SUSE Software-defined Infrastructure solutions provide the digital transformation platform for S/4HANA delivering the stable, secure, and highly flexible infrastructure needed for SAP customers to become true digital companies. The Gartner Group Newsletter "Drive Digital Transformation with SUSE" gives you access to a free report on use cases for SAP HANA, and SUSE insights on defining your digitalization path.
Deliver the Agility Required to Meet Business Needs
When you make an investment, you want to meet today's requirements achieving fast time to value, yet be prepared for future requirements. Cloud computing is a rapidly growing deployment model, and it is expected that the more agile cloud systems will be ideal for the changing business environment. SUSE Linux Enterprise for SAP Applications is based on SUSE Linux Enterprise, a Linux platform that is proven in the cloud:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is selected for SAP Cloud solutions such as SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud, SAP HANA One, SAP HANA Cloud Platform, and SAP-certified Amazon EC2 instances
- SUSE has a strong relationship with the virtualization and cloud market leaders, VMware, Microsoft, and Amazon EC2
- SUSE's broad ecosystem of cloud providers around the world
- SUSE offers enterprise-ready OpenStack-powered cloud infrastructure and services
SAP HANA on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
If you want to run a complete SAP HANA instance running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on Amazon EC2, AWS provides a Quick Start Reference Deployment that launches an SAP HANA cluster of 1 to 5 nodes and requires minimal effort. Use the AWS SAP HANA Reference Deployment Guide for an overview of the architecture and to get links to the AWS CloudFormation template that automates the installation. See more at the AWS Marketplace.SAP HANA on AWS
SAP HANA on Microsoft Azure
SUSE and Microsoft are working together to provide a frictionless path to adopting SAP HANA on purpose-built cloud infrastructure that is backed by best-in-class support and high availability. Microsoft Azure enables you to run the largest SAP HANA workloads on the cloud with the reliability and scalability you need. See more on the Azure Marketplace and read a deployment guide for SUSE VMs for SAP Applications on Azure here.SAP HANA on Microsoft Azure
Developers & Startups
- SUSE supports SAP Startup Focus, a global program to help startup companies in the big data, predictive and real-time analytics space develop new applications that use the SAP HANA platform
- SAP HANA + SUSE on Amazon EC2: Running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- SAP HANA + SUSE on Microsoft Azure: SAP HANA Developer Edition
Explore SAP HANA
- Getting Fast Business Insight with SAP HANA on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and IBM Power Systems
- By migrating its mission-critical ERP solution to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications and SAP HANA, Greenply reduced its IT costs, improved flexibility and dramatically increased performance
- Improve Availability of SAP HANA with Fujitsu and SUSE
- SHS Group—Speeding sales insight with 100 times faster reporting on SAP HANA
- Re-imagine and modernize your real-time business with SAP HANA—an innovative partnership between Dell, SAP, and SUSE
- Learn more about SAP HANA
- Visit the Experience SAP HANA forum and engage with developers and customers
- Centerity and SUSE Bring Next Generation Predictive BSM IT Monitoring to SAP HANA
- Innovative partnership between SUSE, Dell and SAP provides real-time insight
- SAP HANA Technical Operations Manual