Since 2011, SUSE and SAP have been constantly working on improving the scalability and high availability of SAP HANA so that customers can grow their deployments to include multiple nodes and true big data environments.
To ensure high availability and disaster recovery of SAP HANA, SAP provides 3 mechanisms. One of those is SAP HANA System Replication. SUSE enhances this feature through the use of SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension (included with SUSE Linux Enterprise for SAP Applications) and 2 new resource agents to improve the disaster tolerance of SAP HANA Systems.
Disaster recovery for SAP HANA scale-up environments
This scenario is single-box replication. It allows you to replicate your SAP HANA database data from one computer to another computer to compensate for system failures. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications uses the new SAP HANA resource agent (RA), to check the SAP database replication. The master node assumes responsibility for the SAP HANA databases running in primary mode, and the slave is responsible for instances operated in synchronous (secondary) status.
The solution helps to:
- Reduce risk due to hardware failure
- Optimize takeover time due to SAP HANA memory preload
Simplify cluster configuration
SUSE offers within the solution a second RA, the SAP HANA Topology resource agent, to make configuring clusters as simple as possible. This resource agent runs on all nodes of a SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability cluster and gathers information about the status and configuration of SAP HANA system replications.
Why did SAP select SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications for use with SAP HANA?
- More scale–up and scale–out options: Better scale-out options with storage, file system and networking enhancements. Support for the latest industry-standard, scale-up hardware and increased virtual CPU and memory limits.
- Unparalleled enterprise support Seamless and integrated priority support and maintenance through SAP Solution Manager from both SUSE and SAP.
- Performance: Consistently outstanding uptime and performance—even under full CPU loads and high memory stress. Built-in joint validation and certification eliminate software incompatibilities.
- Business continuity: SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension is built in. This is an integrated clustering solution for both physical and virtual Linux deployments.
- Fast deployments: Installation and deployment of SAP applications in hours not days.
Solution Guide: SAP HANA System Replication on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications