Rancher Support FAQ
This document (000020432) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Severity Levels, Designations, and Escalations
- Could you help us understand how to determine the severity level for my case, what the response times are? (SUSE Support blog post)
- How do I change the severity level on an open case?
- Could you illustrate the severity levels with subject lines of sample support cases?
Product Releases and Support Phases
- What is the difference between "stable" and "latest" release tags?
- What does 'Developer Support" mean?
- What is "Full Support" vs "Limited Support"?
- Will Rancher fix the specific product version that my deployment is on, should a bug be reported in that version?
Request for Assistance
- Can Rancher Support validate our planned upgrade?
- We run a burst of high-profile events (e.g., big sale) that run as k8s workloads managed by Rancher. Can Rancher Support join our team remotely for the duration of these events?
- How much in advance do we need to notify Rancher Support on upgrades?
- Can Rancher Support join me as I do my upgrade?
- We need help validating our deployment design and operational readiness, can Rancher Support help?
Rancher and RancherOS
- Can I run other, non-Rancher workloads on the same Kubernetes cluster that Rancher is installed on?
- Could you help us understand the development and support status of RancherOS for 2020 and beyond?
- Does Rancher support migration from single node installation to high availability installation?
- Does Rancher Support cover single node installations?
- How should I understand the kubernetes patch version mentioned in the support matrix under Rancher Kubernetes for a specific Rancher product version?
- I plan to import my legacy k8s cluster into Rancher and having issues with my legacy cluster. Can Rancher Support help troubleshoot the issue?
- Will Rancher fix the issue and release a patch, if the problem is root-caused in Kubernetes?
- As part of a Rancher upgrade, do I need to upgrade my k8s cluster to a version listed in the support matrix for that Rancher version? If I do not, will the cluster continue to work fine as is? Will Rancher support this cluster?
- Is Rancher Support only for RKE-provisioned clusters?
- Could you help us understand the Rancher approach to supporting specific k8s versions and how Rancher keeps up with new k8s releases?
Docker and OS
- What does Rancher support for Docker on Ubuntu cover?
- Will Rancher support us should our deployment be on Red Hat Atomic?
- What does Rancher support for Docker on RHEL cover?
- What does Rancher support for Docker on CentOS cover?
- Will Rancher fix the issue and release a patch, if the problem is root-caused in Docker on RHEL?
- What does Rancher support for Docker on Windows Server cover?
- What does Rancher support for Docker on Oracle Linux cover?
- How would Rancher Support troubleshoot issues on systems where any external access is not allowed, for reasons of security and compliance?
- How (quickly) does Rancher respond to / resolve industry-reported vulnerabilities?
- What are the certified integrations with persistent volume plugins covered by Rancher Support?
- What are the certified integrations with storage class provisioners covered by Rancher Support?
- What are the certified integrations with authentication providers covered by Rancher Support?
- Could you clarify what you generally mean by a "certified integration" to another software system or service?
Included Open Source Software Components
- Will Rancher fix the issue and release a patch, if the problem is root-caused in Prometheus and Grafana?
- Is support for Prometheus/Grafana available only with a valid support subscription for Rancher 2.x?
- Will Rancher fix the issue and release a patch, if the problem is root-caused in Jenkins?
- What is the nature of Rancher support for log aggregation services such as Elasticsearch, Splunk, Kafka, Syslog, Fluentd?
- Will Rancher fix problems root-caused to be in nginx?
- Does my Rancher Support cover Prometheus/Grafana deployments that did not originate from Rancher?
- Will Rancher fix the issue and release a patch, if the problem is root-caused in one of the Rancher 2.x CNI plugin add-ons such as Weave, Cisco ACI, Cilium, and Calico?
- Will Rancher fix the issue and release a patch, if the problem is root-caused in Flannel and Canal?
- Will Rancher fix the issue and release a patch, if the problem is root-caused in Istio?
- We came across a mention of Fluentd as a software Rancher provides Support SLA on. Could you clarify what that covers?
Third-party Software Components
- Is the Rancher software itself completely free (outside of the choice to add support or not add support)? Meaning if we choose no support, we can still run the same full features software?
- Does Rancher include any 3rd party, commercial software components?
- We need to run Antivirus on our cluster nodes. Would that impact the terms of service of our Rancher Support SLA?
- We use components that are not listed in the Rancher support matrix. Would Rancher Support be not valid then?
- I see many included components listed in the Support Matrix. I plan to change the default configurations of one or more of these components. Would Rancher Support be not valid then?
Node Drivers and Infrastructure
- My clusters run on OpenStack. I do not see OpenStack listed in your Support Matrix. Does my Rancher Support cover clusters that are run on OpenStack?
- Does it matter what hardware my hosts are on? Are virtualized servers supported?
- I see node drivers tagged as "Built-in". What does that mean?
- I see some node drivers tagged as "Active" when I install Rancher. What does this mean?
Kubernetes Cloud Providers
Requests for Enhancements (RFEs)
Support for all other Rancher software projects
- What about support for Harvester, Longhorn, rio, k3s, k3os, Submariner, and Terraform Rancher2 Provider?
- Does Rancher Support cover RKE (standalone CLI)?
- How about support for ancillary projects, such as an API client, from Rancher Labs?
- We have a few customizations with our on- premise deployment. For example, we run a forked version of the RKE OpenStack driver with new capabilities. Will Rancher Support cover such customizations?
- Is there a way we can get our custom work be included into Rancher Support?
- What language(s) is Rancher Support service offered in?
- Besides English, we see many languages listed in the Rancher UI dropdown. Are they all covered by Rancher Support?
Licensing and Usage
- Does my support subscription to Rancher include support for Longhorn?
- Does my support subscription to Rancher include support for RancherOS?
- Can we have a mix of unsupported and supported nodes at our choice/discretion?
- Can we request support for the management/upstream cluster and certain downstream clusters and not others?
- How does Rancher track our license usage?
- Is Rancher Support only for production environments?
- I procured a support subscription to 1 Rancher Management Server and a 20-node starter pack for my Production environment. Does my support subscription cover issues in my Dev/Test and Staging environments as well?
- Our usage has exceeded the number of nodes for which we purchased a Rancher Support subscription. We now have an issue. Can we continue to get assistance from Rancher Support to troubleshoot and resolve the issue?
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:000020432
- Creation Date: 09-Mar-2022
- Modified Date:09-Mar-2022
- SUSE Rancher Harvester
- SUSE Rancher
- SUSE Rancher Longhorn
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: email@example.com