Bootloader fails to get updated when OS is upgraded from SLES10 SP2 to SP3
This document (7004838) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Service Pack 3
After completing the upgrade to SP3, when the system tries to boot it fails with the following message:
graphics file "(hd0,0)/boot/message" missing, press a key to continue
The solution is to avoid the problem by doing the upgrade using Yast2 Package Manager as given in the steps below:
1. Add the SP3 installation media as installation source using "yast2 inst_source."
2. Upgrade all the packages using "yast2 sw_single". This can be done by selecting the Packages menu in the Yast2 Package Manager.
3. The title in the GRUB entry will still be listed as SP2. Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the title from SP2 to SP3.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7004838
- Creation Date: 09-Nov-2009
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org