Graphic desktop poor resolution or black screen running on ESXi 6.0
This document (7018820) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP2
Xorg and Gnome/GDM installed for graphic desktop.
An alternative symptom can be that a black screen with a mouse cursor is displayed rather than the graphic login screen.
If the problem persists after updating then the next step is to disable KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) for the kernel.
1. Get to a text based terminal or ssh session on the system and edit (as the root user) /etc/default/grub.
2. Locate the line starting with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=". At the end of that line, before the ending " add nomodeset. The line would look similar to this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent quiet crashkernel=224M-:112M showopts nomodeset"
Save and exit the editor.
3. Run grub2-mkconfig to add the change to the grub configuration. As root:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
4. Reboot for the kernel to run with the new parameter. After the system is booted confirm the parameter was included by running "cat /proc/cmdline" and verify that "nomodeset" shows up correctly.
With nomodeset in place the graphics should be displayed correctly and the display settings should allow a better selection for the resolution.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7018820
- Creation Date: 20-Apr-2017
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback[at]suse.com