Security update for the Linux Kernel (Live Patch 25 for SLE 12 SP1)
|References:||#1107832 #1108963 #1110233|
|Cross-References:||CVE-2018-14633 CVE-2018-14634 CVE-2018-17182|
|Affected Products:|| |
An update that fixes three vulnerabilities is now available.
This update for the Linux Kernel 3.12.74-60_64_82 fixes several issues.
The following security issues were fixed:
- CVE-2018-17182: The vmacache_flush_all function in mm/vmacache.c mishandled sequence number overflows. An attacker can trigger a use-after-free (and possibly gain privileges) via certain thread creation, map, unmap, invalidation, and dereference operations (bsc#1110233).
- CVE-2018-14634: An unprivileged local user with access to SUID (or otherwise privileged) binary could use this flaw to escalate their privileges on the system. Kernel versions 2.6.x, 3.10.x and 4.14.x are believed to be vulnerable (bsc#1108963).
- CVE-2018-14633: A security flaw was found in the chap_server_compute_md5() function in the ISCSI target code in a way an authentication request from an ISCSI initiator is processed. An unauthenticated remote attacker can cause a stack buffer overflow and smash up to 17 bytes of the stack. The attack requires the iSCSI target to be enabled on the victim host. Depending on how the target's code was built (i.e. depending on a compiler, compile flags and hardware architecture) an attack may lead to a system crash and thus to a denial-of-service or possibly to a non-authorized access to data exported by an iSCSI target. Due to the nature of the flaw, privilege escalation cannot be fully ruled out, although we believe it is highly unlikely. (bsc#1107832).
To install this SUSE Security Update use the SUSE recommended installation methods
like YaST online_update or "zypper patch".
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP1-LTSS:
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2266=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2267=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2268=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2269=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2270=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2271=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2272=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2273=1 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2018-2275=1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP1-LTSS (x86_64):