EXT3 file-system error "bad entry in directory"
This document (3554036) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell Open Enterprise Server 1 (OES1) Support Pack 2 Linux
Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 (Linux based)
Novell openSUSE 10.X
Novell SUSE Linux Desktop 1.0
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
This error is caused by a file that has been marked as a directory. This is a non-fatal error and can be fixed by removing the file in question.
- Mount the file-system in question
- Locate the file that has been corrupted. The file's inode is
the number after "bad entry in directory" Using
the example error code the file would be found by typingfind /MOUNT_POINT-inum 5556142
- Delete the file identified in step two
- Umount the file-system
- Check the disk, and check for errors.fsck/dev/PHYSICAL_DEVICE
- Repeat step 5. If no errors, the file-system is clean.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3554036
- Creation Date:05-JAN-08
- Modified Date:30-APR-12
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise DesktopSUSE Linux Enterprise Real Time ExtensionSUSE Linux Enterprise Server