Customizing Menu's in SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10
This document (3316185) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10
- Obtain the icon (usually a *.png file or a *.xpm file).
These are typically placed in "/usr/share/icons/" .
- Change to the "/usr/share/applications/" directory.
- Here, a *.desktop file must be created. Often, applications will include a .desktop file that should be copied into this location. If none is received, it is easier to copy an existing .desktop file to a new one.
- Edit the new .desktop file using a text editor. Alter it
as needed (see the additional notes section for a commented
- Save the file.
- If the menu does NOT show up, log out, and then log back in. This will force a refresh.
[Desktop Entry]Descriptions of entries in the above example are as follows :
- Name is what the application will show up as in the menu.
- Comment is typically used in "pop ups" or context menus for more specific information.
- Exec is the command to be run, or "executed".
- Icon is the picture to use in the menu.
- Terminal is the flag if the application is to be run in a terminal window (o = no, 1 = yes).
- Type should be Application.
- Categories are what the application should be listed under in the menu.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3316185
- Creation Date:08-AUG-06
- Modified Date:26-APR-12
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback< Back to Support Search