Failure to boot into runlevel 5/GUI when OS is installed on iSCSI multipath LUN
This document (000019689) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Scenario that leads to failure to boot into GUI mode is:
1. Both ports have cable connected
2. During OS installation, multipath is activated and OS is installed on multipath device
3. OS install completes, user boots into GUI mode successfully.
4. Cable is disconnected from one of the ports
5. Reboot the OS and observe that OS fails to boot into GUI mode.
af:00.6 Mass storage controller: QLogic Corp. FastLinQ QL41000 Series 10/25/40/50GbE Controller (iSCSI) (rev 02)
#lspci -s af:00.6 -n
af:00.6 0180: 1077:8084 (rev 02)
After step 3 (the installation completed and system booted into the GUI),
add "no_path_retry queue" and "fast_io_fail 20"
to /etc/multipath.conf under the default section.
Rebuild the initramfs ("drafut -f"), before proceeding to step 4.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:000019689
- Creation Date: 13-Jan-2021
- Modified Date:13-Jan-2021
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback[at]suse.com