VNC client gets "No matching security types" when connecting to display :0 on SLE 12
This document (7015985) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Vino server has been enabled by turning on Screen Sharing.
Once enabled Vino listens on port 5900 for a VNC client connection or 5800 for a connection from a browser. When using vncviewer from a SUSE Linux Enterprise system or using a VNC client such as Tight VNC on Windows the connection will fail with the message, "No matching security types."
There are two possible solutions for this situation.
1. Use a client that supports the encryption. On SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 systems there are two supported programs, vinagre and virt-manager.
2. Disable the encryption requirement for the Vino server. This option is not displayed in the screen sharing setup so it must be modified using the "gsettings" command. The following command must be run as the user that has enabled screen sharing:
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
You can verify that the setting was changed properly by running this command and looking for the "require-encryption" setting:
gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.Vino
If there is still trouble connecting after modifying this setting restart the system or restart the xdm service by running "rcxdm restart". This will kill all currently running desktops so be sure nobody is logged in.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7015985
- Creation Date: 11-Dec-2014
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org