How to install SLES over serial console
This document (7010066) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
- Mount the SLES 11 (SP*) DVD1 on your machine.
- Copy the whole content of the DVD to an existing directory -
e.g. with a command like
cp -var /media/dvd/* /tmp/sles_inst_root/
- Change into the root directory of the unpacked installation medium (e.g. /tmp/sles_inst_root/)
- # Edit the file boot/<$architecture>/loader/isolinux.cfg
and replace its content with this :
serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
terminal --timeout=10 serial console
append initrd=initrd textmode=1 console=ttyS0,115200n81
- This change will make the installation program start when the system is booted from the modified DVD after skipping the normal menu seen when booting from the installation DVD.
- Create a new ISO image (still from within the root directory of
the unpacked image) with a command like this (all on one line) :
mkisofs -V SLE11SP1.001 -r -J -l -L -iso-level 4 -P "SUSE Linux AG" -b boot/x86_64/loader/isolinux.bin -c boot/x86_64/loader/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -graft-points -o /tmp/sles11sp1x8664custom.iso .
- Burn the ISO image to a DVD with the tool of your choice.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7010066
- Creation Date: 27-Jan-2012
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org