SLES for System z subscriptions are counted incorrectly in SMT/NCC
This document (7007622) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for System z
When running "smt-report" on an SMT server you are getting a message like the following:
"5 machines use too many 'SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (Z-Series)' subscriptions."
Please go ahead as follows:
- Pick one of the SLES for System z instances and note the GUID of the system. For SLES 10 you find it in /etc/zmd/deviceid, for SLES 11 you find it in in the variable "username=" in the file /etc/zypp/credentials.d/NCCcredentials.
- If you registered against an SMT server, log in to SMT and run "smt-list-registrations | grep Z-Series". Delete all "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (Z-Series)" registrations except for the one with the GUID you noted above. You can delete them via the following command: "smt-delete-registration --guid" followed by the respective GUID.
- If you registered directly against the NCC, log in to your NCC account and delete all SLES for System z instances except for the one with the GUID you noted above.
- Edit the file /etc/suseRegister.conf on each of the systems (except for the one with the GUID you noted above) and set the parameter
to the value you copied in step 1.
E.g. : hostGUID=9bcbafd04c0847faa87dd63eb2cefd62
- Execute "suse_register -L /root/.suse_register.conf". This will send above <guid> as host-GUID to the SMT server, so no subscriptions are counted wrong. Please note, that you also have to specify an activation code when activating a virtual system directly against NCC. Otherwise no update catalogs would be added.
- When using SMT, run "smt-register -L /var/log/smt/smt-register.log". This will correct the subscription information. Then check the output of "smt-report".
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7007622
- Creation Date: 22-May-2012
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- Subscription Management Tool
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: email@example.com