Ejecting CD in Dom0 from DomU fails
This document (7007356) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
# eject /dev/xvdc
not an sg device, or old sg driver
eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument
The only thing that happens is that a potentially mounted filesystem gets unmounted.
There are no error messages in any logs on Dom0.
Additionally ejecting Dom0 CD devices from VMs is restricted by a few (but obvious) constraints :
1) The VM should be SLES 11 SP1 (SLES 11 should work as well, but is out of general support since 15th of December 2010)
2) Other VMs must not be using the CD device at the same time..
As argument on the vm-install command :
When defining the virtual disk for the CD, use for example :
Native domain configuration file :
For domains that have not been modified by any management utilities like virsh or virt-manager :
disk=[ 'tap:cdrom:/dev/sr0,xvdc:cdrom,r', ]
After saving the file, activate the change with
# xm new <domain-config-file-name>For modified, managed domains :
- Stop the domain
- Export the current domain configuration into a file in sxp
format with :
# xm list -l > <domain-name>.sxp
- Backup the exported configuration file
- Open the file for editing
- Locate the CD device definition similar to the following
- Change it to look like this instead :
- Save and close the file
- Import the changes :
# xm new -F <domain-name>.sxp
- Start the domain
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7007356
- Creation Date: 10-Dec-2010
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org