SIGPIPE using nscd socket - commands don't seem to run
This document (7003590) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Service Pack 2
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Service Pack 1
- Occasionally commands like tar and ls will return to the shell prompt with nothing printed at all to STDOUT or STDERR
- The return code for these commands is 141
- strace of a failure shows -1 EPIPE / SIGPIPE / Broken Pipe errors writing to nscd socket
- nscd appears to be leaking sockets as demonstrated by executing netstat -a | grep /var/run/nscd/socket and seeing hundreds or thousands of results during the problem
- The symptom is resolved by restarting the ncsd daemon
- The computer uses LDAP authentication (nss_ldap)
- /var/log/messages shows several "nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server" messages
The solution is to adjust the tcp keepalive down by modifying net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time via sysctl to something much smaller than two hours (such as a few minutes).
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7003590
- Creation Date: 19-Jun-2009
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: email@example.com