Error "The installed product is not compatible with the product on the installation media ..." when trying to update SLE10
This document (3851913) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10
The installed product is not compatible with the product on the installation media.If you try to update using the current installation media, the system maynot start or some aplications may not run properly
while trying to update SLE 10 using the YaST module> Software > System Update
It is expecting an Installation source for the next version of SLE, i.e. SLE11, thus issuing the error.
This error makes sense but it is still annoying : this problem has been reported (bug 186719) and will likely be fixed in SP1.
To update SLE10 to the latest patches available, the "Online update" module needs to be used instead. See the entries for SLE10 in the TID3377050, Guide To Patching Novell Linux products.
- Please note that the "System Update" YaST module will not update the base system (as it is in use). This operation would require to boot from the new OS CD1 and choose "Update system".
- The "Patch CD Update" should be used to update the system to a Service Pack level, with Service Pack CDs.
- In addition, the "Software Online Update Setup" module allows scheduling of automatic online updates.
- All these YaST modules (and more) are described in Chapter "7.3 Software" of the SLES 10 "Installation and Administration Guide". (See also Chapter "7.12 Update from the Command Line".)
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3851913
- Creation Date: 02-Oct-2006
- Modified Date:03-Mar-2020
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org