How to upgrade SUSE Manager 1.2 to version 1.7
This document (7010797) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Manager 1.7
Please note, that in SUSE Manager version 1.7 you have the option to use either an Oracle database or a PostgreSQL database. A migration from SUSE Manager 1.2 to version 1.7 with PostgreSQL database is not possible. If you want to use version 1.7 with PostgreSQL database, a new installation is required.
Please also note, that SUSE Manager 1.2 evaluation systems that use an oracle-xe database (Oracle Database Express Edition) cannot be upgraded. Instead, install a new SUSE Manager 1.7 Server evaluation copy which includes a full-features embedded database.
- Make sure that the SUSE Manager license in your Customer Center (NCC) account is still valid. Enter http://novell.com/center to check the license in the NCC.
- Make sure that your system is registered either against the NCC or against a local SMT server. Check via the "zypper lr" command, that it has the following repositories assigned:
To perform the upgrade, please execute the following steps:
- Stop the SUSE Manger services via the "spacewalk-service stop" command.
- If the SUSE Manager database is running on the same machine as your SUSE Manager server, start the database instance with "/etc/init.d/oracle start".
- As a sidenote, if you want to use the QT interface of yast (and not the ncurses version), install the respective packages via the following command: "zypper in xorg-x11-xauth yast2-qt yast2-qt-pkg xorg-x11-fonts xorg-x11-fonts-core"
- In order to start the upgrade process, call up "/usr/sbin/wagon".
- yast2-wagon will do an automatic self update if needed.
- In the following dialogue select how to migrate. Select "Customer Center" if the update repositories should be used or select "Custom URL" if you want to specify the update source manually. In most cases "Customer Center" should be the right choice. If you want to review the repository changes yourself, additionally select "Check Automatic Repository Changes". Click "Next".
- A re-registration of the system will be done. During the registration process the SLES11-SP2-Pool and -Updates as well as the SUSE-Manager-Server-1.7-Pool and -Updates catalogs will be added. The SLES11-SP1 catalogs will stay enabled, the SUSE-Manager-Server-1.2 catalogs will be disabled. Click "Next".
- The success dialog-popup at the end informs about which repositories were added (click on the "Details" Button).
- If you have selected "Check Automatic Repository Changes", the list of repositories will be displayed, providing the opportunity to manually enable/disable/add/delete repositories. In most cases no modification of repositories should be needed! Klick "Ok" when finished.
- In the next dialogue it is possible to select a migration type:
- "Minimal migration" just upgrades all packages that are required to bring the system up to SP2 level.
- "Full migration" installs all additional updates.
- The "Advanced" button is for manually selecting the repositories used for upgrading.
- Add-On Products: Third Party add-on products can be added here.
- Update Options: This shows what will happen with the product. Temporary migration product metadata will be removed, the SUSE Manager Server product will be upgraded. Further, it can be selected, if all packages should be downloaded before upgrading (this is the default) or if the packages should be downloaded and installed one by one.
- Packages: shows some statistics about rpm packages to update, to install and to remove.
- Backup: some backup options.
- The update of the rpm packages is performed. SuSEconfig is executed.
- A message to reboot the system is displayed (Press "Ok").
- A registration of the final SP2 product(s) takes place. Please note that SLE 11 SP1 catalogs need to stay enabled.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7010797
- Creation Date:19-SEP-12
- Modified Date:15-NOV-12
- SUSESUSE Manager
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback