Your operating systems don't have to be at war. Choose the Linux desktop that plays best with your current IT environment.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 interoperates with your existing systems and allows you to easily leverage your IT investments. It was designed to coexist with Windows, Mac, UNIX and other operating systems. That's why SUSE Linux Enterprise is the most interoperable Linux desktop available today.
Co-exists with Windows
SUSE is the leader in providing Windows-compatible Linux solutions that work with Microsoft and other environments. Key features include:
- LibreOffice—Complete office productivity suite that is compatible with Microsoft Office file formats. It allows you to easily open and save to Microsoft Office files, and work with Microsoft Office users. We know it's not Windows OR Linux in the real world. It's Windows AND Linux.
- Evolution—The most popular e-mail and calendaring application on Linux, it supports Novell GroupWise® (including GroupWise 8), Microsoft Exchange (including Exchange 2007), and open standard mail servers such as POP and IMAP.
- Moonlight—Firefox plug-in that provides the ability to access Microsoft Silverlight enabled websites and to play Windows multimedia files including Windows Media Audio (wma) and Windows Media Video (wmv) files.
Hardware, Multimedia, and Other Standards
In addition to co-existing with Windows, SUSE Linux Enterprise also allows you to easily leverage your other technology investments. It offers strong support for the following:
- Plug-n-play devices—SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop provides extensive compatibility for USB and Bluetooth devices. It features USB device detection and installation for a wide range of Firewire devices, local and remote printers, laptop port replicators and docking stations, mice, scanners, digital cameras, portable music players (e.g., iPod), and smartphones (e.g., RIM Blackberry and Google Android-powered devices).
- Multimedia—The cornerstone of the multimedia support in SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop is the Banshee multimedia player. Banshee provides playback support for MP3 files, and playback and creation support for Advanced Audio Coding (aac), Ogg Vorbis audio (oga), and Ogg Theora video (ogv) files, along with many other open standard formats. Through the collaboration between SUSE and Microsoft, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 supports all Microsoft Silverlight multimedia formats including Windows Media Audio (wma) and Windows Media Video (wmv). These applications make it easy to view multimedia files, stream audio or video feeds, create CDs or DVDs, and more.
- Network standards—Whether you are running Novell eDirectory™ or Microsoft Active Directory, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop allows you to seamlessly integrate with your current networks while providing the same security standards. In addition, it easily connects to wired and wireless networks and fully supports IPv6.
- File standards—SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop supports most Linux file systems as well as Microsoft FAT, NTFS, and Mac HPFS. It also supports a wide range of network file protocols including FTP, NFS, CIFS, and SMB2.