You will need an evaluation code to get access to updates during your evaluation period. This evaluation code can be obtained by clicking the "Get Evaluation Code" button below.
SUSE Enterprise Storage 3
SUSE Enterprise Storage 3, the latest release from SUSE, enables IT organizations to accelerate innovation by transforming their enterprise storage infrastructure with our intelligent software-defined storage solution. SUSE Enterprise Storage 3 is the first commercially supported software-defined storage product powered by the Ceph Jewel release, ensuring SUSE customers are the first to get supported and easy access to the latest Ceph community innovations. The Jewel release of Ceph includes new and updated features that accelerate innovation including multi-protocol block, object and filesystem data access capabilities, improved disaster recovery and long distance replication as well as many stability and performance updates.
What is New With SUSE Enterprise Storage 3
This release of SUSE Enterprise Storage includes technical preview access to the following new features of Ceph:
- Ceph Filesystem (CephFS) is a POSIX-compliant filesystem that uses the SUSE Enterprise Storage cluster to store data. This functionality expands the existing object and block access methods by adding file access to enable unified data access (object, block and file) to the same SUSE Enterprise Storage cluster. A SUSE Enterprise Storage metadata server manages file access and file security within the SUSE Enterprise Storage cluster. The SUSE Enterprise Storage 3 metadata server supports hot standby for redundancy.
- Multisite object replication functionality enables multisite SUSE Enterprise Storage clusters to store object data and enable active/active (read/write) access to any of the cluster sites. The SUSE Enterprise Storage cluster will then asynchronously replicate the object data to the remote site(s).
- Asynchronous block (RBD) mirroring using a journal to track changes to the RBD image. The journal is then streamed across a WAN to a remote site. A new rbd-mirror daemon performs the cross-cluster data replication.
- New framework that will provide advanced management for SUSE Enterprise Storage. This framework supports the openATTIC Ceph management product being co-developed by SUSE and IT-Novum (early access to this product will be delivered later). The framework also provides support for Salt configuration management.
SUSE Enterprise Storage 3 (SES3) is available for download for the x86_64 platform as two ISO images. Media 1 contains the binary packages and the source code, media 2 the debuginfo packages.
Files to Download
For installation only media 1 is needed
Adding the SUSE Enterprise Storage 3
You can add the SUSE Enterprise Storage 3 extension to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1 (SLES12-SP1) as an add-on product at install time or later.
Note: You need to register SLES12-SP1 + SES3 and apply updates when using the SES3 add-on.
Adding SUSE Enterprise Storage 3 During Installation
To add the SES3 extension while installing SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1:
- Select the "Include Add-On Products from Separate Media" box on the Installation Mode Screen.
Depending on your installation, you can add the SES3 extension from media 1 or from a remote installation source, such as an FTP server, on the next screen.
Adding the SUSE Enterprise Storage 3 After Installation
To add the SES3 extension after you have already installed SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1:
- Start YaST2
- Go to Software – Add-On Products add media 1 of the SES3 extension or a remote installation source.
You can then either manually select the specific packages you want to install, or choose from the predefined patterns under the Install and Remove Software option. If you don't find a specific package that you need in any of the suggested usage patterns, try the package search. Some packages might not be included in a pattern.
- You can then select the predefined “SUSE Enterprise Storage server packages” pattern to automatically select the recommended packages for the SES extension, or manually choose a different list.