SUSE® today announced the upcoming availability of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications based on SUSE Linux Enterprise 12, the reliable, scalable and secure platform for efficiently deploying and managing highly available enterprise-class IT services in physical, virtual or cloud infrastructure. New features such as full operating system rollback, live kernel patching and installation automation will help simplify deployment and can increase uptime of mission-critical SAP® solution-based workloads on Linux. As a result, customers can save time and resources and experience improved performance and reliability.
"SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is the leading platform for SAP solutions on Linux," said Nils Brauckmann, president and general manager of SUSE. "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications builds on years of partnership with SAP and integration and tuning with SAP solutions to help stay ahead of the growing, critical computing needs of enterprise customers. SUSE continues to be the top choice for running workloads of SAP solutions on Linux."
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications offers the following benefits to enterprise customers running mission-critical, SAP solution-based workloads:
- Full operating system rollback—This provides improved resilience by allowing users to take snapshots of the system, including the kernel files, and roll back to that point.
- Ready for SUSE Linux Enterprise Live Patching—SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 includes infrastructure for live kernel patching technology delivered through SUSE Linux Enterprise Live Patching. With it, customers can update security patches without rebooting machines or waiting for the next service window.
- Extensions for clustering—SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension provides a mature, industry-leading solution to enhance business continuity and provide disaster recovery capabilities for SAP solutions.
- Hardware enablement—SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications takes advantage of the hardware enablement of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 to allow customers to run SAP solutions on the latest hardware.
- Installation Wizard automation and enablement of n-tier installations of SAP solutions—Installation Wizard can automate installations without requiring manual interaction. Enablement of n-tier allows distributed installations of SAP solution-based systems across a customer's IT landscape, fulfilling customer and partner requests for a full landscape installation of SAP solutions following the traditional n-tier approach.
Partners on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications
Wolfgang Hopfes, director, Global SAP Go to Market, Fujitsu, said, "Based on the experience as a trusted SAP Global Partner for over 40 years, Fujitsu utilizes the flexibility and stability of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server to create simplified and secure solutions which help optimize the investment in SAP applications and databases including latest developments such as SAP S/4HANA."
Jim Beckman, vice president, Global Alliances, Hitachi Data Systems, said, "Increasingly, it is critical that we look for opportunities to partner and integrate at the platform level in order to help improve performance, increase reliability, decrease risk, and drive out unnecessary costs for customers, who are challenged by dynamic market conditions, emerging trends, like cloud and big data analytics, and the explosion of application choices. For Hitachi Data Systems, integration with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications is a tremendous example of how we can deliver such value to end users and help them achieve their desired business outcomes."
Paul Miller, vice president marketing, Converged Systems, HP, said, "With SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications, SUSE continues to bring unique differentiation to the industry-trusted HP ConvergedSystem for SAP HANA portfolio. This announcement ensures that HP can offer choice and comprehensive functionality to meet our customers' high standards and user requirements for secure, high-performing, purpose-built solutions."
Brian J. Connors, VP EBG WW Strategic Alliances & GM HPC Business Unit, Lenovo, said, "As two of the largest players in the SAP HANA market, Lenovo and SUSE have been working on aligning the capabilities of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications to further take advantage of the capacity and performance that Lenovo offers as part of our System x, x6 platform. We are excited to demonstrate how customers can leverage this integrated framework for SAP HANA and the SAP Business Suite."
Bob Braham, chief marketing officer, SGI, said, "Our solid partnership with SUSE has resulted in true added value for enterprise customers, particularly with the combination of the SGI UV™ and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for the SAP HANA market. The SGI UV appliance offers an in-memory, scale-up computing appliance with single system simplicity and extreme scalability."
Rob Cashman, vice president, Mission-Critical Servers and Solutions, Unisys, said, "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications and the Forward! by Unisys™ platform give clients a superior combination of performance, reliability, availability and security for mission-critical SAP applications ranging from ERP to real-time data analytics."
Availability and pricing
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications will be available to customers in May and will feature 24x7, joint integrated and seamless priority support for enterprise customers, including an 18-month full support grace period when a new service pack is released. For more information, including pricing, visit suse.com/products/sles-for-sap. In addition, SUSE will be previewing the solution in booth 172 at SAP SAPPHIRE NOW in Orlando, Florida, May 5-7.
SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. The lasting relationships we build allow us to adapt and deliver the smarter innovation they need to succeed - today and tomorrow. For more information, visit suse.com.
Copyright 2015 SUSE LLC. All rights reserved. SUSE and the SUSE logo are registered trademarks of SUSE LLC in the United States and other countries. All third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.