How to generate entropy in SLES 11 SP1 and Later
This document (7011351) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Service Pack 2
Doing cat /dev/random returns only a few characters (instead of a constant stream).
Entropy value from command /sbin/sysctl kernel.random.entropy_avail is less than 1000.
Steps to install and enable haveged:
- Install haveged. e.g zypper in haveged
- Start haveged. /etc/init.d/haveged start
- Enable haveged to start at boot. chkconfig haveged on
- Reboot the SLES server. The boot process generates a lot of entropy. If you reboot twice, you get even more entropy.
- Verify by doing:
You should see a continual stream of random characters.
/sbin/sysctl kernel.random.entropy_availThis number should be 1000+.
For more information see: http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7011351
- Creation Date:12-NOV-12
- Modified Date:13-NOV-12
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise Server