How to install VMWare tools on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
This document (7014488) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
VMWare tools missing from server
- Launch YaST | Software | Software Management
- Change Filter to Patterns, and make sure c++ compiler is installed.
If the c++ compiler pattern is not available, add the SLES DVD/ISO as a repository:
TID# 000018261 How to add SLES repository on SLES server
If the c++ pattern is not installed, select it in the list of available patterns and install c++ compiler
- Right-click the VMWare guest in the VMWare client, and click Install VMWare tools
- This may also be under a Guest tab after right-clicking on the guest VMWare
- Close YaST
- Type mount /dev/cdrom /media
- Type cp /media/*.tar.gz /tmp
- Type cd /tmp
- Type tar -zxvf VM*.tar.gz
- Type /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl --default
Type init 6 to restart the server
Type /etc/init.d/vmware-tools status to make sure it is running
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7014488
- Creation Date: 31-Jan-2014
- Modified Date:31-Mar-2021
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: email@example.com