XEN: Mounting CD-ROM's and USB devices in para-virtual DomU's using command line tools
This document (7000059) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Service Pack 1
- Determine which disks are present in DomU. Generally a good choice is one letter higher for devices "xvd" or "hdc":
- Attach the CD/DVD/USB drive to the DomU.
The command has the following syntax.xm block-attach NAME_OF_DOMU phy:LOCATION_OF_DEVICE FREE-BLOCK-DEVICE WRITE_MODEExample for a CD drivexm block-attach SLES10 phy:/dev/cdrom hdc:cdrom rExample for a DVD drivexm block-attach SLES10 phy:/dev/dvd hdc:cdrom rExample for a USB drivexm block-attach SLES10 phy:/dev/sdc xvdc r
- Inside of the DomU, mount the volume. Use the name of the BLOCK-DEVICE used in the previous step. The expected behavior of the DomU automatically mounting the media will NOT happen. As a result, you have to manually mount the volume.
mount /dev/hdc /mnt
- Umount the volume
- Detach the device
The command has the following syntax.xm block-detach NAME_OF_DOMU BLOCK-DEVICEExamplexm block-detach SLES10 hdc
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7000059
- Creation Date: 10-Apr-2008
- Modified Date:14-Mar-2021
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
For questions or concerns with the SUSE Knowledgebase please contact: tidfeedback[at]suse.com