After posting a couple videos from my SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 system, some network admins have asked me to share how I record these. One said that he sees practical use in creating how-to videos for his end users. So here is how I set up my SLED10 system for capturing my desktop as a video file.
The Short Version:
- Use RecordMyDesktop.
– (Um…That’s it. You don’t need to read the rest.)
The Detailed Version Install:
- Make sure you have the following packages to your SLED10 machine: gcc, make, ogg, libogg-devel, libtheora-devel, libvorbis-devel, alsa-devel, jack-devel.
- If you find that I omitted any packages, please let me know which I need to add to the list.
- Download the latest version of RecordMyDesktop and gtk-RecordMyDesktop from the RecordMyDesktop project site. (These will be source code tarballs that you must build and install onto your machine.)
- Put the two source packages in a folder and extract them.
- Open a Terminal window and change to the newly-extracted RecordMyDesktop source folder.
- As a regular user, use the command “./configure ?prefix=/usr” to configure the build environment. If the configure errors out it’s likely because of a missing package. Add the missing package and its “-devel” accompaniment.)
- Now use the “make” command to build the package.
- Finally, use the command “sudo make install” to install the software. This will prompt you for the root user?s name.
- Repeat the same steps for the gtk-RecordMyDesktop source folder.
- Use Alt-F2 to start a Run Application window.
- Type “gtk-recordMyDesktop” on the command line and hit enter.
- Start recording!
A Few Best Practices Suggestions
- I recommend creating a special user account for recording videos. It will help you to ensure that you always have an uncluttered desktop with a consistent background for your videos.
- Use a simple wallpaper or background color so that viewers are not distracted from the subject of your video.
- Turn off your instant messenger. It really blows a video to have “yt?” pop up.
- If you have other suggestions for me to include, please post a comment.