Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing
Using the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Search Tool
You know that when you saved that document you put it someplace you could easily find it, but in a hierarchy of files and folders and among applications and Web pages, it might be hard to find that "easily findable" place. When you can’t find what you’re looking for, you can try asking your desktop to get it for you. Here’s how:
- Click the Computer button in the lower left-hand corner of your desktop.
- Type a key word or seach term in the Search field at the top of the box.
- Press Enter.
- Right-click the resulting application, document, file folder, or Web page, etc. that matches what you were looking for.
- Select Open to open the item, choose Reveal in Folder to open the folder that contains the item in Nautilus, choose E-mail to send the item, or choose Move to Trash to delete the item.
- To narrow your search, select a type of item to search for from the Search menu at the top of the search results window.
To see a flash demonstration of this tip, click the play button below.
Now that you know how to find anything on your desktop, don’t you wish the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Search Tool could find where you put your keys?
You can watch for more BrainStorm Cool Tips on SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 in upcoming editions of SLED 10 Cool Solutions.