SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 2 Public Beta!
Our Public Beta for SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 2 is available.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES),
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP (SLES for SAP),
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Just Enough Operating System (JeOS),
- SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability (SLEHA and SLEHA GEO),
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED),
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension (SLEWE),
- SUSE Linux Enterprise for High Performance Computing (SLEHPC).
Download available here and Changelogs available here!
As usual there is a lot to say about our upcoming Service Pack, and overall we made more than 840 updates to our packages. Please check out the “Important Notice” and “Notable Changes” section below for more information.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 2 (SLE 15 SP2) is a Refresh Service Pack.
- Media Changes: Easier handling of online vs offline installation. The Unified Installer and Packages DVDs known from SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP1 are deprecated and have been replaced by the following media:
- Online Installation Media: All SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 products can be installed with this lightweight stand alone media, after entering a registration key. The necessary packages are fetched from online repositories only.
- Full Installation Media: All SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 products can be installed without network connection with this media, for offline installation scenarios. The media contains all necessary packages. It consists of directories with module repositories which need to be added manually as needed. RMT (Repository Mirroring Tool) and SUSE Manager provide additional options for disconnected or managed installation.
Please note that we also have replaced the word “DVD” by “Media” for the ISO names.
- Beta Registration Codes are available to get access to the Online Channels through SCC, RMT or SUSE Manager. Please request your Beta Registration Codes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maven: as a Technical Preview. Version 3.6.2 has been added.
Changes to our SLE Pre-Releases
Today’s challenges are common to every developer, you need to “release early, release often”, but also make sure you have the best feedback loop and collaboration with your users.
So we are excited to present you our response to these challenges with our new way of providing SUSE Linux Enterprise Pre-Release!
The SLE 15 SP2 schedule introduces some significant changes to the former SLE schedule that you might be used to.
In the past, like for SLE 15 SP1 Public Beta Program, all testers (Internal, Technology Partners, Public) were receiving the same images with the same cadence, about 2-3 weeks.
However for Internal and Partners, the 2-3 weeks cadence of official and fully tested images, from our internal automated and manual QA, was too long. And providing around 7-8 pre-releases to our Public beta testers, was also difficult for some to cope with.
Thus as part of the examination of the new challenges we took three major decisions:
- Increase the cadence of internal milestones to our developers and Technology Partners,
Bring more flexibility into the testing schedules of our developers and Technology Partners. I.E providing weekly milestones to them!
- Reduce number of Public Pre-Release images to 3,
Only one Beta, one Release Candidate and one Gold Master Candidate will be available on download.suse.com.
- Provide more updates through our Beta Online Channels,
Changes in the weekly internal milestones will be provided to the Public as updates through our SLE 15 SP2 Beta Online Channels.
We hope this approach will address the needs of our different beta stakeholders. The “hardcore” testers get more frequent images to test and validate, our Public testers get fewer ISOs to install but still get frequent updates from our Engineering. Of course, we are highly interested by your feedback and experience to make any adaptations or changes in the future. Contact us at email@example.com!
Please note that information mentioned below are just a selection, check out our Release Notes and Changelog files for more details and a full list.
- Linux Kernel 5.3:
SLE 15 SP2 includes the Linux 5.3 kernel. This new kernel release includes upstream features such as 16 million additionally usable IPv4 addresses, utilization clamping support in the task scheduler, power-efficient userspace waiting with the umwait x86 instructions and many more.
- Changes for SCSI Devices
With the update to the 5.3 kernel asynchronous SCSI Devices is more aggressive! This should be an important topic for your testing, therefore please check the full details at HERE.
- Changes for SCSI Devices
- GNOME 3.34:
The GNOME Desktop (and associated applications) has been updated to version 3.34 (from version 3.26). This updates brings many improvements, performance improvements, and new features. Among those, you might notice visual refreshes for a number of applications, including the desktop itself and the icon set, custom folders in application overview, redesign of various control panels, and a new on-screen keyboard.
- Vagrant Boxes:
SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP2 will be available as a Vagrant Box for the Enterprise Server and the Enterprise Desktop releases.
As always, we highly recommend to check our Release Notes and our changelogs files for a complete overview of the changes in this new version.
Please visit https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/sle-beta for more information like beta schedule, how to report issues, how to start a discussion with SLE Engineering and more.
Have fun beta testing!
Your SUSE Linux Enterprise Team
how can i download Suse enterprise version for
Thanks and best Regards
You can download it for free at https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/sle-beta/#download.
Please note you need to create an account on our website, but again this is free of charge and you don’t need to be a customer ; ).
Have a nice day,