SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 5 is Generally Available
SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 5 is now generally available. This release consolidates all the fixes and updates that were introduced since SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 4.
As you know, SUSE Linux Enterprise service packs are released on a yearly cadence. Service Pack 5 is the next service pack since the release of Service Pack 4 in Dec 2018. In addition, Service Pack 5 is also the last service pack for SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 release. With the release of SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 5 on December 9th, general support for SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 4 will end on June 30th, 2020. Customers wishing to maintain support of their SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 4 installations after June 30, 2020 can continue support through the purchase of Long Term Service Pack Support.
The SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 Service Pack 5 release provides the following products and extensions:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension with Geo Clustering
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Live Patching
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit
General high-level notes for this release are:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Long Term Service Pack Support (LTSS) for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP4 will be available effective July 1, 2020.
- Similar to prior service packs, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 will also be supported for a maximum of 8 years (General End Oct 2024, LTSS upto 2027).
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop customers are requested to upgrade to SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 15 SP1 as a supported and current product.
- Support for IBM Z15 platform. Refer blog Backfitting SLES 12 for IBM z15 – It’s in Our DNA.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 SP5
- Unattended Mode for SAP HANA-SR Wizard on Bare-Metal deployments
- Overhaul of saptune and release of saptune version 2
- SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension 12 SP5
- Geo Clustering is part of the High Availability Extension. Clients with an active subscription for the High Availability Extension are also entitled to the Geo Clustering Extension.
- New simplified deployment solution for HA NFS use cases (TechPreview)
If you are currently running SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 SP4, you can migrate to Service Pack 5 as long as you have an active subscription. In order to make the migration smooth, it is recommended to do the migration while still having the overlap support active.
Note that for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications, Long Term Service Pack Support is currently only required to upgrade from 11 SP4 to 12 SP5. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 service packs include 3 years of Extended Service Pack Overlap Support (ESPOS), which entitles you to upgrade to 12 SP5 until the end of ESPOS. See this blog for more information about ESPOS for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12, and visit suse.com/lifecycle for General Support and ESPOS end dates.
- Backfitting SLES 12 for IBM z15 – It’s in Our DNA
- Download SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 Service Pack 5
- Release Notes for SLE 12 SP5
- All Release Notes
- Documents – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
Keep in touch @RajMeel7