SUSE Enterprise Storage 7 first public beta!
We are happy to announce our first public beta for SUSE Enterprise Storage 7
The latest software-defined storage solution built on the Octopus release of the open source Ceph technology.
In addition to the current features, available in SES 6, the SES 7 beta includes the following major improvements aimed at assisting enterprises with their digital transformation by simplifying and modernizing enterprise IT infrastructures.
Traditionally, SUSE Enterprise Storage delivered RPM packages for Ceph. In the new release, SES 7 will deliver the components as containers. SES 7 uses cephadm an up-stream framework which uses Podman container engine to perform orchestration. Kubernetes and a simple container engine (podman) will use the same containers.
Below are some benefits of containers:
- Improved upgrade/update story
- Isolated processes (better debugging/being able to deploy a single PTF container without touching other containers)
- Ability to add more day 2 operations to deployment framework
- Align with Kubernetes orchestration by re-using the same containers images
- Align with upstream community to harness community innovation.
- Two deployment options
- Co-location for compute and storage (Hyperconverged setup)
- Self-healing, scaling of services
- cephadm install stack
- Simplification of Day 2 operations
- Patch management with SUSE Manager
- Simplification of future updates
- Ceph Dashboard: Disk handling
- Simplification of OSDs (disks) management and replacement
- Native Windows Client Driver
- Simplified storage deployment for Windows systems
- Performance improvement
SES 7 Beta Webinar
T.R. Bosworth, Senior Product Manager, Kai Wagner, SES Engineer and Vincent Moutoussamy, SUSE Beta Program Project Manager, will host a SUSE Enterprise Storage 7 Beta Webinar on the 30th June at 04:00 PM CEST.
We hope you can join the Webinar to get a presentation of the newest features, the beta schedule and last but not least a live Q&A session with us.
We are thankful for your support in trying out our beta products and we welcome your feedback.
Do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.