SUSE Enterprise Storage 5.5 released
SUSE Enterprise Storage 5.5: Scalable and Resilient, more Cost-Effective and Automatically Optimized
Today we are very pleased to announce the general availability of SUSE Enterprise Storage 5.5, the latest release of the multi-award winning SUSE software-defined storage solution.
Grab the version 5.5 trial download here
What’s New with SUSE Enterprise Storage 5.5:
SUSE Enterprise Storage 5.5 enables IT organizations to accelerate innovation and reduce costs by transforming their enterprise storage infrastructure with our intelligent software-defined storage management solution.
It is based on the Ceph Luminous release and built on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3, it broadens the scope and use cases for the SUSE software-defined storage solution. It delivers new features focused on lowering costs, ease of use and management and operational enhancements and is ideal for most storage applications including; solution for bulk storage, archive, backup, compliance, data protection, disaster recovery, large data file applications, big data applications, HPC storage, cloud storage and virtual machine storage.
SUSE Enterprise Storage 5.5 features new enhancements focused on lowering costs, ease of use and management and operational enhancements including:
- Numerous performance and stability enhancements giving Enterprises the confidence to deploy Open Source Enterprise Storage at scale.
- Enhancements to ease of use and management further reducing costs, and increasing operational efficiencies through OpenStack integration and openATTIC enhancements. NOTE: openATTIC concepts and technology provide the basis for a new default management and monitoring dashboard for Ceph Mimic.
- Production support for CIFs Samba for Ceph further expanding on SUSE Enterprise Storage’s already leading heterogeneous client OS access capabilities and ability to service non-Linux environments, in particular Windows.
- Industry first support for heterogeneous Ceph deployments – Non SUSE RBD and CephFS clients.
- Enhanced security with the embedded support of AppArmor. AppArmor or “Application Armor” is a Linux kernel security module that will allow the storage administrator to granularly select the actions that can be made within the Ceph Cluster.
- Extensive support for localization and translation of documentation. Targeting 8 level 1 languages including Mandarin and Simplified Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish.
- Critical ability for system to notify customer of events, pre-determined and configured by the user. Notifications by email and text. (Technology preview as upstream is still under development)
- Enhanced data protection and disaster recovery capabilities with the support for asynchronous iSCSI replication. Current implementation includes support for Object, RBD, Block for heterogeneous in this release and CephFS is under development (Technology Preview).
With exploding data, increased costs and flat to lower budgets IT organizations are looking for ways to deploy highly scalable and resilient solutions that are cost-efficient, automatically optimized and enterprise consumable. Learn More…
…or grab the V5.5 trial download