PRODUCT UPDATE: Extending feature availability of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications
At SUSECON 2016 we announced SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2 for SAP Applications with many new features to accelerate deployment of SAP applications and create a more resilient and secure SAP environment. These features are now available for IBM Power Systems, and for a prior release of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for SAP Applications. I’ll tell you what’s new in just a moment, but first a bit of history.
When IBM and SAP were ready to deliver SAP HANA on Power Systems they determined that to quickly serve more customers who needed support for their SAP BW systems, initial support for would be for POWER8 processors in Big Endian mode. SUSE was the only Linux provider to step up and deliver a validated platform for SAP HANA on POWER. But IBM’s longer-term strategy is to deliver Little Endian support to give businesses the flexibility to leverage data sources from a broader set of SAP environments. We had release 12 Service Pack 2 available for beta testing but SAP had just certified Service Pack 1. So again, rather than wait, IBM chose to deliver the Little Endian support to our customers sooner.
Now we are pleased to announce that SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2 for SAP Applications is available for all supported servers of SAP HANA. But we didn’t stop there. We went one step further and are making the new features in Service Pack 2 available for organizations who currently run Service Pack 1 on both POWER and x86-64 servers. This means that they can more easily deploy resilient SAP systems including SAP HANA and SAP S/4HANA with the following capabilities:
- Install and configure SAP environments faster and easier
- Choose between automated configuration of the SAP HANA Firewall, or use an easy set-up wizard
- Use the installation wizard to quickly and consistently deploy the complete SAP high availability stack, S/4HANA and Tailored Datacenter Integration (TDI) deployments
- Use SUSE Manager integration with the installation wizard as a single pane of glass to configure and manage the SAP environment
- Automate SAP HANA System Replication for scale-out deployments
- Protect data volumes in remote data centers with enhanced encryption management
- Leverage open source community packages supporting SAP landscapes validated by SUSE and available with PackageHub
- Access and evaluate 3rd-party partner migration tools and services through SUSE Connect (currently applicable for x86-64 only, but POWER solutions supported)
- Ease the migration to the new Linux-only S/4HANA environments (applicable for x86-64 only)
- Be productive faster with an all-Linux landscape with support for the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol environment, and a guide for administrators to perform common Windows Server tasks with SUSE Enterprise Linux
- Support existing Microsoft user IDs and passwords with Enhanced Active Directory integration
SAP applications running on AIX will also eventually need to migrate to SAP S/4HANA on Linux, but UNIX and Linux are very similar so it shouldn’t be difficult for UNIX administrators to get comfortable working with SUSE Linux Enterprise.
To get these new features simply perform an update of your SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1 for SAP Applications subscription. Learn more about how SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications delivers optimized performance, less downtime and faster deployment of SAP landscapes at suse.com/products/sles-for-sap.