In-Place Upgrade NetWare to Open Enterprise Server
Currently, Novell doesn’t support an in-place upgrade from NetWare to OES. This has prevented some customers from upgrading to OES.
To address this shortcoming, Novell Consulting is investigating a procedure that allows customers to perform an in-place upgrade when certain prerequisites are met and address the following needs.
- Be running a supported platform before the end of Extended Support for NetWare 6.5
- Avoid transferring data from old to new hardware
- Avoid the long downtime that is required for a migration
- Avoid purchasing new hardware for migration
The attached document presents a technical overview of a type of in-place upgrade. The solution presented in this document allows customers to
- Use the existing server when it meets the prerequisites, simply replacing the OS.
- Upgrade the platform without touching existing data. In fact, users can simply reconnect afterward.
In addition, this process requires only a short downtime per server.
Attached to this article you will find the following files
- The detailed description of this solution
- A set of tools and scripts to start with
- A link to some prepared appliances to have a quick start
The solution itself consists of 4 major steps
- Build Upgrade-DVD with appliances build in SUSE Studio
- Backup Identity (run mig-pre.ncf on Upgrade-DVD)
- Replace OS (boot Upgrade-DVD with restore.sh)
- Restore Identity (mig-oes.sh)
Depending of the scope of your upgrade and the selected option the whole process takes from 30 minute up to 1 1/2 hour.
Detailed instructions and example-scripts are attached to this article.
Example appliances for this method can be found at http://susegallery.com/u/xmxtqcyw.
Feedback is welcome!