In the old days, system administrators spent a majority of their time watching file servers, managing user accounts, and ensuring network connectivity, but today’s infrastructure is a busier and more exotic place. Applications hide in containers, systems hide in other systems, new configurations appear and disappear with a single mouse click, and every file is a potential threat. It is no wonder that CIOs and IT managers are looking for new tools and a new approach that bring harmony, safety, and economy to precious IT assets in changing times. Welcome to the new world of IT infrastructure management.
IT infrastructure management poses a challenge for the IT team, and this challenge requires a new generation of better and more powerful management tools. The proliferation of virtual and container-based systems, combined with the complications of contemporary security, the promise of automated configuration, and the need for vendor-independent cloud support, require tools that can respond to the possibilities of the environment, lock down security, and manage complexity. Are your management tools ready for the future? Ask yourself:
• Does the solution let the user administer hardware-based systems, virtual systems, and containers?
• Can you deploy, manage, and decommission systems through a single user interface?
• Does the solution lock down updates and installation sources?
• Does the solution offer automated auditing?
• Does the solution make effective use of automation to extend the power of a single admin and provide a programming interface for integrating custom scripts and programs?
• Does the solution offer long-term platform independence, or could it lead to vendor lock-in?
Embracing the latest developments in IT can lead to improved efficiency and significant cost savings, but be aware that you’ll need IT infrastructure management solutions that can manage the increasing complexity and exploit the benefits of software-defined infrastructure. If you are building your IT management tools for the future, look for a solution that is ready for the challenge of today’s IT infrastructure.