Hitachi Offerings Extend SAP Environments
The power of SAP HANA is very intriguing to enterprise customers, who are seeking ways to leverage the sheer power of SAP HANA within their existing SAP environments.
Recently Hitachi Data Systems announced the expansion of its own solutions for SAP software, solutions that will optimize the performance, business continuity, data protection and scalability of SAP software-enabled platforms.
The new solutions provide high-performing real-time analytics, mission-critical ERP, customer relationship management (CRM) and supply chain management (SCM) to enterprise customers, as well as scalable cloud architectures and data protection for business continuity of mission-critical apps.
Hitachi’s story of scalability has a starring role for SUSE as well. Hitachi’s extensions make scalability for SAP HANA possible with Hitachi symmetric multi-processing (SMP). SMP in a Hitachi Compute Blade 2000 enables 2-4 identical Intel x86 servers to share memory and be controlled by a single OS—our own SUSE Linux for SAP.
The SMP scaling enables the Hitachi Unified Compute Platform for SAP HANA extension to tie individual compute servers together within the Hitachi Compute Blade chassis so that they appear as a single node to both the SUSE OS and the SAP HANA functionality that’s running on SUSE.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP is a powerful component of the SAP ecosystem, especially with today’s release of version 11 Service Pack 3.
The new release has a lot of improvements for SAP environments, including:
- Support for the SAP software provisioning manager for easier and more-reliable software provisioning, saving time and resources.
- Support for the SAP Business One application version for the SAP HANA platform, providing simple steps to a tailored appliance with less time spent on installation, setup and configuration, ensuring a ready-to-connect delivery.
- Support for the latest high-performance, industry-standard Intel processors (Intel Xeon processor E5 Family and the 4th-generation Intel Core processor) and AMD Opteron 4000 and 6000 Series Platforms.
- Better scale-out options with storage, file system and networking enhancements.
- Enhanced clustering capabilities such as faster IP load balancing or connection tracking to meet the most stringent service-level agreement.
SAP and SUSE have put together some outstanding packages for the SAP environments, and Hitachi’s new extensions will only help improve SAP more for the enterprise.