Elisa, the biggest telecom operator in Finland, shared their experiences from their SUSE Cloud Application Platform Proof of Concept Study at SUSE Expert Days in Helsinki
Elisa gave a presentation in Helsinki September 26th and shared their experiences from SUSE Cloud Application Platform Proof of Concept (POC). “The main driver was to find an easy to use application platform” says Mikko Kruunari, Team Lead DevOps at Elisa.
Elisa converted existing .NET Framework based application to .NET Core to have the possiblity for the apps to run everywhere and not be dependent of Windows binaries.
During the spring Elisa started a their proof-of-concept (POC) evaluating two SUSE platforms:
- SUSE CaaS Platform, a container as a Service Platform
- SUSE Cloud Application Platform, an application delivery platform
As a Application CI/CD pipeline, Azure DevOps were used.
Part of the success critera was to succesfully port the .NET framework to .NET Core and deploy a PHP application.
“We covered three typical software use cases with different coding languages and also installed most of the software needed for the proof-of-concept.” says Mikko.
Insights from SUSE CaaS Platform POC:
- SUSE CaaS Platform is an enterprise class container management solution
- Includes Kubernetes to automate lifecycle management of modern applications and surrounding technologies
- Simplify Kubernetes administration with an exceptional platform operator experience.
- Maximize return on investment with a flexible, no lock-in solution.
Insights from SUSE Cloud Application Platform POC:
- Modern application delivery platform used to bring an advanced cloud native developer experience to Kubernetes
- Containerized version of Cloud Foundry
- Flexibility, no vendor lock-in
- SUSE CAP runs on SUSE CaaSP and shares its network solutions
- Could be used to deploy applications with minimal resources
Elisa is a pioneer in telecommunications and digital services. Our business is continuously changing. Digitalisation is influencing the work people do, ways of working, management, tools and the working environment.