Converting SLES and SLED Evaluations to Paid-for Subscriptions
Converting SLES and SLED Evaluations to Paid-For Subscriptions
There are three ways that a customer can convert a SLES or SLED system
from being registered as an Evaluation copy to a paid-for subscription.
- The GUI console of the system
- The command line interface of the system
- At the Novell Customer Center (NCC) with a browser (does not have to be from the console of the system that is being affected)
All three methods effect the same results; your system status will be changed
in the Novell Customer Center from an Evaluation status to an Active for the
respective installation of SLES or SLED. The affected SLES or SLED system(s)
will have access to patches and fixes for the duration of the Upgrade
The following assumes that one has a paid-for one year (or three year)
Activation Code from Novell. Activation Codes are acquired by purchasing
Novell Upgrade Protection subscriptions for SLES or SLED.
From the GUI Console of the SLES or SLED
- Open Yast (Menu >> System >> Yast)
- Click on the Novell Customer Center Configuration tool under Software
- Verify that “Configure Now” is selected
- Click on Next
- Click Continue when “Manual Interaction Required” screen comes up
- Enter the paid-for Activation Key in place of the Eval key
- Click Submit
- Click Continue
Your data in the Novell Customer Center will be updated with the information
that was entered.
From the Command Line of the SLES or SLED
For those that are comfortable with working at the command line, here
are the commands for SLES and SLED that will Activate a Novell
Eval or paid-for Activation Code. These commands are also good for
replacing Eval or old Activation Codes with current codes.
When a customer executes these commands, their data in the Novell
Customer Center will be updated with the information that they enter.
SLES Activation or Re-Activation of an Activation Code
# suse_register -a email=emailaddress -a regcode-sles=regcode
SLED Activation or Re-Activation of an Activation Code
# suse_register -a email=emailaddress -a regcode-sled=regcode
From the Novell Customer Center with a Browser
The following assumes that you have registered a currently-good
Novell Activation Code in the Novell Customer Center by going to
- Point your browser to http://www.novell.com/center
- Log in with the Novell Username associated with your SLES or SLED
- Click on “Systems” from the left hand menu
- Highlight the Evaluation system that you want to convert
- Click on the <<–>> (arrow button) at the base of the “System Name” column. This is the “Move” tool.
- A list of possible Activation Codes will be offered that you can move the SLES or SLED system under
- Click on the desired Activation Key for the respective system
The next time your SLES or SLED system makes contact with Novell’s ZLM
update servers, the respective system will receive patches and fixes
for the time remaining on the subscription/Activation Code as a paid-for
customer rather than an evaluation customer.