BrainStorm Cool Tip: Getting the Right Bullets
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use GroupWise. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing
If you’ve ever tried saving an OpenOffice.org document in MS Word format, you’ve probably noticed that bulleted lists don’t look exactly right. That’s simply because Microsoft uses MS Symbol for its bullets and OpenOffice.org 1.1.x uses StarSymbol. Simply changing the bullet your OpenOffice.org documents use can completely eliminate this formatting issue.
- Place your cursor anywhere within a bulleted list.
- Right-click and select Numbering/Bullets.
- Click the Options tab.
- In the level box, select 1-10.
- Click the … button next to Character.
- Scroll to select a font that you know both OpenOffice.org and Microsoft Word use, such as Century Schoolbook.
- Click the bullet character in the special characters dialog and click OK.
- Click OK again.
- Repeat the above steps for all the bulleted lists in your document.
You can also create a template containing your commonly used bullet lists so you don’t have to change your bullet format each time you want to export your document to MS Word. See these previous BrainStorm Cool Tips to learn how:
Customizing Your OpenOffice.org Style
Using OpenOffice.org Templates